How do I find a sponsor?

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
MadameM
Forums Enthusiast

How do I find a sponsor?

Post by MadameM » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:14 am

The meetings I have been able to attend so far have all been filled with men. The women who do attend are newcomers or DUI offenders attending just to get their papers signed.

The one woman I did meet who I connected with was just a visitor passing through on her way to FL.

Is there a way to find a female sponsor that is easier than stalking meetings looking for a woman with a long enough history of sobriety? Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the meeting with the guys, but I also know I don't want a male sponsor. I had one dude already offer and he started talking about sexual conduct and it just weirded me out.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

Amanda

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: How do I find a sponsor?

Post by PaigeB » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:42 pm

E-aa has a temporary sponsor program. Maybe that can help.

http://www.e-aa.org/help.php

I have found my sponsor to be indispensable in working the Steps & keeping me sober. I hope you find someone very soon.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:48 pm

Another suggestion is to call your local AA intergroup or central office and find out if you're missing groups that have a strong sponsorship dedication. Look up Alcoholics Anonymous or AA in the phone book.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

Todd M
Trusted Servant

Post by Todd M » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:23 pm

need a temporary sponsor to walk beside you, please copy and fill in
http://www.e-aa.org/form_sponsors.php
There is Hope, Todd M
Keep it Simple

The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link:
http://www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Post by Blue Moon » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:41 am

Well, I really recommend seeking out different meetings. What you described is not AA, other than by name.

It sounds like you're in a populated area. Many such towns have a women's meeting, so I'd get hold of a meeting list. Don't just stick with the women's meeting - nobody gets sober by hiding out - but the women there can tell you what other meetings they often go to.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon