How do your family relate to your sponsees?

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Re: How do your family relate to your sponsees?

Post by Lali » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:12 pm

I also feel bad for your sponsee. It would be too bad if you have to uninvite him, but maybe you could leave the house for just a little bit, long enough to bring him a plate of food and pray with him...
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Re: How do your family relate to your sponsees?

Post by Tosh » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:07 pm

Thanks for your replies, all; just to update; it's sorted; Mrs Tosh has got a kind heart; I know she has, she's just shy and frighted of feeling awkward I think; though she wouldn't admit to it!

This morning (when I was still in bed) he phoned me up and he was crying; (and this guy is a tough bloke; he an ex Infantry officer; a Major; he's a veteran of various places including Afghanistan) - he's just having a really tough time; he spent most of the night awake ruminating on the past and worrying about the future. Mrs Tosh was in bed beside me when I took the call; she's softened and she's fine with him coming around. He's visiting his four children later in the evening on Christmas Day, so it's not like he's going to be with us all day; probably about four hours - and I'll take him for a walk with the dog after dinner and show him some local history; something he loves.

Anyway, I phoned him this earlier this evening; I had suggested a brilliant out-of-town meeting for him to go to when he phoned this morning (I couldn't go; family commitment) and he said the meeting really helped.

He's one of those rare guys whose come into recovery and really got stuck in quickly; he's working on his amends, he has a faith - he knows he's got to keep the channel open - he knows what to do; he's just had a bad night and he's got a lot going on in his personal life right now.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)