selecting a sponsor

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
jakpar
Forums Contributor

selecting a sponsor

Post by jakpar » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:23 pm

hello, I'm Jack and I am an alcoholic.
I have been sober since March 6th, 2011, and have been atending at least 1 f2f meeting a day since my 1st AA meeting on March 11th, 2011 (I have attended 46 f2f meetings in the first 45 days since).
I live in a rural area in WV. The town I live in has 1 meeting a week, so I have to travel to attend daily meetings, but I already see this as a plus in one sense, as I see a number of differents AA's, and hear several different stories/situations.
I have been struggling with getting a sponsor, and am concerned about how to go about it, what to look for etc.
Any ideas or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
thanks in advance,
Jack
Jack

"We are of service by accepting responsibility for the authority God has given us and by respecting the authority God has given to others"
Anonymous

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Re: selecting a sponsor

Post by avaneesh912 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:56 pm

Jack,
Yes it is a very difficult job, especially coming into the fellowship without prior knowledge what is in store for us. Here is a brochure AA has put-together to help a new comer, http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf. Feel free to post your questions here. We will be glad to assist you.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Post by Marc L » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:19 pm

Hello Jack;
I'm Marc and I'm Alcoholic.
There are also many threads on the subject at this link: http://www.e-aa.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=15

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.

jakpar
Forums Contributor

Post by jakpar » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:07 pm

just an update, I now have a temp sponsor on here, who is great to work with. I also continue working towards one at f2f meetings.
thanks
Jack

"We are of service by accepting responsibility for the authority God has given us and by respecting the authority God has given to others"
Anonymous