sponsorship workshop

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
happycamper
Forums Long Timer

sponsorship workshop

Post by happycamper » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:51 pm

Hello Folks! This post is for anyone who might be interested in learning how to host a workshop. This particular one I am describing happens to be a sponsorship workshop that myself and a few others on a committee put together and had in my community.

First we had to find a bldg or meeting place to hold the workshop.
Next we ordered approx 100 of the phamplets : Questions & Answers on Sponsorship ( if Im not mistaken N.Y. sent them to us for free )

We had flyers printed up and began to distribute them to as many mtgs possible in our district and did this well before ( 3 months at least ) the workshop was to take place.

We asked several ppl to be speakers for approx 15-20 minutes at the workshop. They spoke on sponsoring others, their own sponsor, etc.
We had an 'ask it basket'. Where you write down any questions you have and put them in a basket, then it goes around the table and someone picks a question out and answers it if they so choose. If not, they can pass it on, and so on ...

We had a small part of the history on sponsorship, when it began in the early days, how it began, who sponsored who, etc, etc.
we had a list for potential sponsors to sign giving their phone numbers, home group, etc, so if someone at the workshop was looking for a sponsor, they could get the list.

We had tables split up into 3 sections for steps 1-4, then 5-9, and 10-12 and if a person needed or wanted help with a step, then they sat at that table and we all shared our esh on that particular step and how we were sponsored thru the step or how we sponsored someone thru it.

Oh and of course, dont forget the food !!!!! We had lots of food, goodies, and a big old pot of coffee too.
We opened the doors with greeters around 9am and had donuts for Everyone. The workshop started at 9:30am and ended around 12:30 with a lunch, and a couple 10 minute breaks in between it all.

It was alot of fun and Id do it again . I think workshops are a great way to get alot of ppl involved in whatever the type or heading is. Ive been to lots of them titled: A 12 step ( or ) 12 tradition workshop. The Home group workshop and recently went to one called The Service Workshop.

Get some ppl together in your home group and attend your next district meeting and bring up the topic!
Faith without works is dead

Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Re: sponsorship workshop

Post by Marc L » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:39 am

Hey Camper;
Lots of good stuff in your post.
I like the idea and if it is O.K. with you I'll do something with it.

Thanks;
Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.

happycamper
Forums Long Timer

Post by happycamper » Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:13 pm

By all means ... share away !!
Faith without works is dead

Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Post by Marc L » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:10 am

happycamper wrote:By all means ... share away !!
Well...
I've set up some tables on my little 'Oasis in Space'. How about you come over sometime and show us what you did with the first few steps. :D

Marc

Glynn
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Glynn » Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:40 am

Thanks for sharing that. It doesn't appeal to me, but if you found that it worked for you, fantastic.

Glynn
:wink:

Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Post by Marc L » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:06 pm

Glynn wrote:Thanks for sharing that. It doesn't appeal to me, but if you found that it worked for you, fantastic.

Glynn
:wink:
There's nothing new under the sun...
It is an old idea which has gotten mileage with newcomers over the years.
And it can be helpful to those who like that sort of thing.
'Working With Others' is what it is all about so in my view it might be worth a try. :D

Marc