SOBER 4 Months 2maro but I need more.....

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
MrCPM
Forums Newcomer

SOBER 4 Months 2maro but I need more.....

Post by MrCPM » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:35 pm

Hi my name is Carl and Im a alcoholic.....2maro marks my 4th month being sober from drinking.Im very proud of this and I have been working the steps but i feel I need to gain a sponser to increase my recovery. I am 24 years old with a wife of 1 1/2 years and a 6 month old daughter. 4 months ago I was released from a recovery home and havent drank since. Im from Chicago and constantly go to my aa meetings near me, atleast twice a week. This is my first time registering on the site and I have come to learn more about working the system and being of assistance to anyone who needs

jak
Forums Long Timer

Re: SOBER 4 Months 2maro but I need more.....

Post by jak » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:43 pm

Hi Carl and welcome,

I'm jim - alcoholic. Joined AA when I was 28 years old. Went to a lot of meetings and was directed to use the book Alcoholics Anonymous to learn about and use the program. I was steered to join a home group and make it a commitment. And then also to go to as many meetings as needed and wanted. There was no online support then.

You are welcome here.

jimk

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:53 pm

Hi Carl, welcome! Congratulations on your time sober, that's outstanding. I'm Ann, alcoholic who was lucky enough to find AA at the age of 26. So glad you are here. I lived for a little less than a year in Chicago when I was actively drinking, moved around and now I'm in the country of Estonia, former Soviet satellite nation. Chicago was colder :-o but also hotter :!:

When I was in AA at the beginning I was really mystified by the sponsorship thing. I kept hearing people say to get one but for some reason no sponsor appeared at my side :-) Turned out I had to ask someone, but that was way too much committment for me so I ended up joining a group that offered temporary sponsors. That way I wouldn't have to ask, although it annoyed my sponsor that I didn't. Heh heh heh. And she was right -- the act of asking someone is part of the recovery, as I found out later when I did ask someone, online.

There's a pamphlet on it, Questions and Answers About Sponsorship available online here http://www.aa.org/pdf/products/p-15_Q&AonSpon.pdf (or ask the literature chair in a group). Also the booklet Living Sober has a good section on sponsorship imho.

Let us know if you have any questions, lots of good experience here, and of course would love to read you in other topics as well.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

SteggyB
Forums Enthusiast

Post by SteggyB » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:58 am

Hi Carl,

Congratulations on being 4 months sober! I will hopefully have two months on September 14th. It took me 7 months to get here.

Sponsorship is a good thing. When I started out I asked a friend of mine to be my temporary sponsor. She got me through some really hard things. As I started to grow and figure out what I needed and wanted I realized I needed someone who wasn't a friend to be my sponsor. Sponsors are great; I don't know that I would recommend getting one the way I did but you should find a sponsor at a meeting who seems to have what you want. I got a lot out of what my sponsor's sponsor said so I asked her to be my permanent sponsor and she and I are getting along pretty well so far.

I'm in Chicago as well and there are tons of meetings; there's a meeting to fit everyone. I've found a few meetings that I'm comfortable with and I've stuck with those for the most part. A home group is a great thing and that is where you will most likely find your sponsor and get to know others in the program.

Ann is right though; sponsors don't just magically appear. I wish they did! It is a wonderful thing when you ask someone and hear them say yes. It made me feel like someone believed in me and believed I could make it.

Sober25
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Sober25 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 3:50 am

Hello Carl, glad you are here. I'm glad you want a sponsor. It's easy to get one. Find someone you feel comfortable talking to that has been sober for a few years and ask him. Good luck to you.
AA has one program of recovery - the 12 steps. It's tried, tested, proven and gauranteed.