Sponser request; surprised at response

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
Steven F
Forums Long Timer

Re: Sponser request; surprised at response

Post by Steven F » Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:22 am

I might say some things here that might sound stupid to some, but ...

In MY experience:
"And if you don't feel 100% that you'll "go to any length"? How do you work towards that? "
You do not work towards anything. Anyway, nobody can tell you what that "any lengths" looks like. The "any ways" are stuff that you might even not be able to imagine right now. You become more willing throughout the process, or you'll know it if you are not willing. I found out I was not 100% willing somewhere after the first half year. How? Simply because I wasn't doing everything the book asked me to do. You do the work. You notice that you get into trouble in one way or another. You start working harder. And then it works (at least, for me).

Also, having a sponsor is fine, surely, but your sponsor is not responsible for you not drinking. Hence, you don't need a sponsor per se. If you are a real alcoholic, the big book tells you all you need to do. If you do these things, the book promises, you will be sober and even happy. If you don't,you won't. No sponsor can change that. If someone would ask me with the expectation that I can get them sober, I would explain to them it doesn't work like that.

You get conscious contact with God through the steps. God does the rest. Not you, and not your sponsor.

Allamerican
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Allamerican » Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:37 pm

A big Book is a great start the 164 pages does not ask him to follow a sponsor nor do I promote the label and propaganda . Reading the book can be a great start if others don't divert him/her as the fellowships unity as a group is what A.A. is about rather than being diverted by an outside sponsorship system.

It ceases to amaze me when one asks and the Big Book is mentioned others have to down the Big Book to make themselves feel like they have to sponsor others because a sponsor thinks others are to stupid to read the Big Book.

Bottom line is in the A,B,C's of A.A. not someone wanting to sponsor A.A.
Logic mixed with spirituality is an unshakable foundation and that's between God and the individual not a substitution
Let Go man and Let God - let others live and let live - let them ask instead of the diversion into praising a sponsor
as if they are the chosen ones in other words principles before other peoples realities (personalities a sponsor)

Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Post by Karl R » Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:46 am

Allamerican,

It's obvious that you have what could almost be termed a "resentment" against the institution of sponsorship. I count about 20 posts since you showed up here again under your new user name which demonstrate this. Time to move on to a new topic. You've worn this one out. And, might I suggest, that the Big Book has some suggestions about resentments. You will find them if you read just a bit beyond the a.b.c.'s which you speak of. Check out pages 64-67 please.

It's great having your around but could we hear your experience, strength, and hope on other topics? I'm sure the newcomer could benefit from your experience in other areas of the program of alcoholics anonymous.

cheers,
Karl

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:28 am

Great idea, Karl. Allamerican, can you share exactly what your program consists of? I would be oh, so, interested to hear it!! You seem to only have one opinion on one subject when there are sooo many aspects to this program. I cannot help but wonder how someone with SO much resentment could be working a good program but i'm willing to listen.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:37 am

I would like to withdraw my last post as regards Allamerican. I allowed myself to become agitated by something that I'm not even interested in. I think I'm suffering from a case of "woke up on the wrong side of the bed" lol!!. I'm really not interested in a response to my post. Peace all.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

Blue Moon
Forums Old Timer

Post by Blue Moon » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:32 pm

Allamerican wrote: Let Go man and Let God - let others live and let live - let them ask instead of the diversion into praising a sponsor
as if they are the chosen ones
What you describe is not sponsorship, it's codependency.

A sponsee called me today. First time in 2 or 3 weeks. We just picked up where we left off. All is well, he has a conscious contact with his Higher Power, he doesn't "need" me at all. He's taken the Steps, recovered from alcoholism, active in his own faith, and doing what he enjoys doing sober.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon

Ken_the_Geordie
Forums Old Timer

Post by Ken_the_Geordie » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:47 am

Blue Moon wrote:
Allamerican wrote: Let Go man and Let God - let others live and let live - let them ask instead of the diversion into praising a sponsor
as if they are the chosen ones
What you describe is not sponsorship, it's codependency.

A sponsee called me today. First time in 2 or 3 weeks. We just picked up where we left off. All is well, he has a conscious contact with his Higher Power, he doesn't "need" me at all. He's taken the Steps, recovered from alcoholism, active in his own faith, and doing what he enjoys doing sober.
That reminds me of something I heard recently; an AA unrelated subject said that a 'good teacher aims to get rid of their pupils as soon as possible'.
I'm more commonly known as Tosh (it's a nick name, but everyone I know in real life calls me it); just in case there's any confusion; I tend to use Tosh or Ken interchangeably and it confuses some; including me. ;-)

Allamerican
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Allamerican » Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 pm

A.A. offers a cure for insanity from alcohol no one has found the cure for stupidity simply put is in the A.B.Cs of A.A. To believe A.A. ways that no human power can relive us - or not - really doesn't change A.A.

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne » Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:31 pm

no one has found the cure for stupidity
nor for lack of tact

tasman
Forums Contributor

Post by tasman » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:06 pm

Allamerican wrote:A.A. offers a cure for insanity from alcohol no one has found the cure for stupidity simply put is in the A.B.Cs of A.A. To believe A.A. ways that no human power can relive us - or not - really doesn't change A.A.
Hi Allamerican
I don't understand what you are saying here - can you elaborate?
K