Myths of sponsorship for the superstitious

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?

Postby Blue Moon » Tue May 29, 2007 8:43 am

From the heart wrote:The oldest group in Washington called the Midtown A.A. group is experiencing the wreckage of the outside sponsorship system.

You've still not explained what is meant by "outside sponsorship system". You're talking in riddles, I'm unaware of any "outside sponsorship system" in AA.

Midtown is one group, and it's not this group. e-AA has no opinion on any specifics of what takes place in any other AA group, and certainly not what appears to me not even an AA group. Take it up with AA's General Service Office in New York if you want.

I don't disagree with your assertions about sponsorship. Yet you're insisting that people prove something they never tried to claim. That's out of order. You're the only person in this forum who's mentioned the word "sponsor" as allegedly being in the Big Book. Nobody else has. You claim to have an understanding of AA's Traditions, yet are clearly flouting those Traditions here. Check out Traditions 1, 2, 3, 4, 10 and 12.

I've asked nicely, now I'm telling you... stop Trolling e-AA's forums. There'll be no further discussion about Midtown Group in this "Sponsorship" forum, and there'll be no further demands to "prove" where the word "sponsor" appears in a book that nobody here claimed it to be written in. Both discussions are off-topic and out of order.

If any current or former members of the Midtown or any other group are struggling and want to understand more about what AA really is instead of what nonsense they learned in some apparently non-AA entity, they're very welcome to post in our "If it doesn't fit anywhere else" forum.

P.S. Ebby got drunk after he pitched to Bill

Ebby didn't drink because he'd "pitched", 12th Stepped or sponsored. Only Ebby can truly know why Ebby drank again, but the evidence appears to indicate that he later copped a resentment about AA and didn't work his own program.

Incidently, that's usually why alcoholics drink again after discovering AA. They cop a resentment and don't work their own program.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby From the heart » Tue May 29, 2007 10:31 pm

I didn’t say because I said after.
Must of got to busy in things that was none of his business
From the heart
Forums Enthusiast

Re:

Postby Service » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:09 am

[quote="You've still not explained what is meant by "outside sponsorship system". You're talking in riddles, I'm unaware of any "outside sponsorship system" in AA[/quote]
The heart guy was banned and was not given the opportunity to answer -Take a closer look :wink:
This may be hard for the conditioned to understand "A.A is an inside job" anyone who needs governMental sponsorship in A.A. has nothing to do with being " able to intuitively handle situation that use to baffle them " believe it or not that is true for people who can practice it in all their affairs.
Service
Forums Contributor

Re: Myths of sponsorship for the superstitious

Postby PaigeB » Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:20 am

Good to see you Service. To clarify the user "From the heart" is not banned here.

Re-upping a post from 2007? I don't understand your phrase governMental - no one governs me. My sponsor merely makes suggestions. Like the entire program of AA is suggested. Take it, take part of it or leave it.

I certainly hope you are not back to stir things up with reasons YOU wish to leave it alone.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Service » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:02 pm

Want to tell God a good joke? Tell him your time ---- LOL
Service
Forums Contributor

Postby Service » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:04 pm

Want to tell God a good joke? Tell him your time ---- LOL
Service
Forums Contributor

Postby Service » Mon Sep 07, 2015 12:20 pm

PaigeB wrote:Good to see you Service. To clarify the user "From the heart" is not banned here.

Re-upping a post from 2007? I don't understand your phrase governMental - no one governs me. My sponsor merely makes suggestions. Like the entire program of AA is suggested. Take it, take part of it or leave it.

I certainly hope you are not back to stir things up with reasons YOU wish to leave it alone.

GovernMental simply means when one needs governing for mental reasons someone who cannot intuitively handle situations that baffle them. This is not a bad thing - it's an outside thing and if anyone needs institutional ways instead of abandoning themselves looking for HELP surely go for it - I found A.A my way, thank God, I mean no disrespect for not praising your out side sponsorship system, Hope that explains the question YOU ASKED
Service
Forums Contributor

Postby D'oh » Tue Sep 08, 2015 3:44 am

Good Luck "From the Heart"

So is God on your Speed Dial, or does he/she have your number?

Easier Softer Ways.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Postby Tosh » Tue Sep 08, 2015 11:46 am

Welcome back, Service; I see you still have sand in your fanny over sponsorship. :lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Service » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:12 pm

Ever google ( A.A sponsorship out of control ) you may find some of your victums, sober there, because God could and would if sought !

Give it a try, read the testimonies of thousands that have been victums of your outside sponsorship followship if you can't hear it in a meeting - can keep trying
Better to be an example than to look for one that's if your Alcoholic and sober.
Service
Forums Contributor

Postby Service » Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:22 pm

D'oh wrote:Good Luck "From the Heart"

Easier Softer Ways.

My love for God does not keep me sober, in as much as his love for me - It seems like he picked me I did not at first pick him - Thank God I was not easily diverted by the outside sponsorship system.

Once again, no where in first 164 pages of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous does it ever recommend that I call a "sponsor". When I need direction or guidance, the Big Book is very clear about who I should contact: "...he (Bill W.) was convinced of the need for moral inventory, confession of personality defects, restitution to those harmed, helpfulness to others, and the necessity of belief in and dependence upon God." (Alcoholics Anonymous. 3rd ed. xvi)

"But there is One who has all power that One is God. May you find Him now! (Alcoholics Anonymous." 59) "Next, we decided that hereafter in this drama of life, God was going to be our Director." (Alcoholics Anonymous." 62)

In the evening:

After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken. (Alcoholics Anonymous. 86)

In the morning:

We consider our plans for the day. Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives. Under these conditions we can employ our mental faculties with assurance, for after all God gave us brains to use. (Alcoholics Anonymous. 86)

During the day:

In thinking about our day we may face indecision. We may not be able to determine which course to take. Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or a decision. (Alcoholics Anonymous. 86)

We usually conclude the period of meditation with a prayer that we be shown all through the day what our next step is to be, that we be given whatever we need to take care of such problems. (Alcoholics Anonymous. 87)
Service
Forums Contributor

Postby Stepchild » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:41 am

Service wrote:
Once again, no where in first 164 pages of the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous does it ever recommend that I call a "sponsor". When I need direction or guidance, the Big Book is very clear about who I should contact: "...he (Bill W.) was convinced of the need for moral inventory, confession of personality defects, restitution to those harmed, helpfulness to others, and the necessity of belief in and dependence upon God." (Alcoholics Anonymous. 3rd ed. xvi)

"But there is One who has all power that One is God. May you find Him now! (Alcoholics Anonymous." 59) "Next, we decided that hereafter in this drama of life, God was going to be our Director." (Alcoholics Anonymous." 62)

In the evening:

After making our review we ask God's forgiveness and inquire what corrective measures should be taken. (Alcoholics Anonymous. 86)

In the morning:

We consider our plans for the day. Before we begin, we ask God to direct our thinking, especially asking that it be divorced from self-pity, dishonest or self-seeking motives. Under these conditions we can employ our mental faculties with assurance, for after all God gave us brains to use. (Alcoholics Anonymous. 86)

During the day:

In thinking about our day we may face indecision. We may not be able to determine which course to take. Here we ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or a decision. (Alcoholics Anonymous. 86)

We usually conclude the period of meditation with a prayer that we be shown all through the day what our next step is to be, that we be given whatever we need to take care of such problems. (Alcoholics Anonymous. 87)

I have to agree with that. Although I have never heard of "outside sponsorship"....I have heard of "poor sponsorship." What is good sponsorship to me? Read the part in Bill's Story where Ebby T. sits with him at the kitchen table...And what follows....That's good sponsorship.
Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:22 am

"outside sponsorship"

I finally get it. I think what he means is that you don't have to call your sponsor on what dress to wear. Will my pink shoe match my blue suite. That kind of stuff.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby leejosepho » Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:39 am

-------
Sponsor, noun [Latin] (Webster, 1828)
A surety; one who binds himself to answer for another, and is responsible for his default.
-------

The "answer for another" part of the above is where an early A.A. "sponsor" would vouch for the sincerity of the newcomer at what was sometimes the newcomer's very-first-ever meeting following Step Three:

"No one is too discredited or has sunk too low to be welcomed cordially - if he means business." (page 161)

More to the specific point of this discussion: "Responsible for his/her default" amounts to things such as these:

"...assure him...that in the future he would have the 'will power' to resist the impulse to drink." (Dr. Silkworth);
"...assure him that he is on his way...that...a wonderfully effective spiritual structure can be built." (page 47);
"...The consciousness of your belief [will surely] come to you." (page 55);
"...the absolute certainty that our Creator has entered into our hearts and lives..." (page 25);
"...sure [of being] on solid spiritual ground..." (page 102).

[It is] simply a superstition that if you don’t have [a sponsor] you will get drunk, this religious fear tactic is just another substitution for faith – what one does is what one believes [or is at least willing to believe].

I can easily agree with the entirety and inherent complexity of your statement in my own slightly-edited version and would gladly enter into this discussion if you are willing and able to do something other than to categorically blast the idea of sponsorship.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Spirit Flower » Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:35 pm

Service wrote:
D'oh wrote:Good Luck "From the Heart"

Easier Softer Ways.

My love for God does not keep me sober, in as much as his love for me - It seems like he picked me I did not at first pick him - Thank God I was not easily diverted by the outside sponsorship system.

In the evening:

In the morning:

During the day:

Don't forget Bill's Story, page 13-14. "Common sense would become un-common sense. I was to sit quietly when in doubt, asking only for direction and strength to meet my problems as he would have me..." "I must turn in all things to the Father of Light who presides over us all."

But some people say they need a god with skin.
...a score card reading zero...
Spirit Flower
Trusted Servant

PreviousNext

Return to Sponsorship