sponsorship help

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?

sponsorship help

Postby suzycat » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:12 am

Hey

Haven't posted in a while.

I have gone through the Big Book and steps, have sponsored my first sponsee last year with success! But have not had a sponsee since, i have being going to meetings although admittley not as much as i should be. I am finding it hard to find a new sponsee and it is affecting me as fear and self centred ness are coming back!

I'm kinda of thinking maybe i need to go through the steps again. Can i go through the steps again whilst sponsoring someone else? A bit confused!!!
suzycat
Forums Newcomer

Re: sponsorship help

Postby avaneesh912 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:24 am

There are no rules. You do what is best of you. I am not sure why you fearful if you are not sponsoring? Its not a mandatory thing. I go at times without working with people. That is the nature of todays recovery. In f2f meetings where I go, people mostly rely on going to multiple meetings a day and newcomers think they should approach those people who are seen in almost every meeting they go to. No stress on working the 12 steps. So, people like my who are service oriented, find it hard to grab a newcomer. My attention will be those that are willing to work the steps and I find that in the correction facility.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:57 pm

I'm kinda of thinking maybe i need to go through the steps again. Can i go through the steps again whilst sponsoring someone else? A bit confused!!!

That is what I am doing now! It has been SO enlightening! The Promises come true over & over!

This is an opportunity you don't want to miss! You might go to a Step meeting - around here they focus on a Step each month = 12 months/12 Steps! Or you could find another sponsorship line and learn a whole new way of going through the Steps. That is what I did! Wow. Just Wow. I am sooo grateful for this new life!

I wish you well... and God's speed!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby Roberth » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Hello suzycat, maybe this should be a new topic but there are many ways to fill the void of not having someone to sponsor. One of my favorites is General Service. It's the glue that holds AA together. I love it because it the behind the scenes work. In 2 weeks I will be heading to Sparks Nevada where somewhere between 1000 and 1500 alcoholics from the 9 western states will get together to discuss who we might better carry the message. Many of the staff from GSO in New York will be joining us, and the good part is any alcoholic can participate.
Robert
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in pretty, well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming WOW What a ride!!!!
Roberth
Forums Long Timer

Postby tomsteve » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:00 am

one little part that seems to get missed in the big book:
None of us makes a sole vocation of this work, nor do we think its effectiveness would be increased if we did. We feel that elimination of our drinking is but a beginning. A much more important demonstration of our principles lies before us in our respective homes, occupations and affairs. All of us spend much of our SPARE time in the sort of effort which we are going to describe
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Brock » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:41 am

Partly due to ‘cultural’ differences, between myself and the majority of AA members where I live, I have never sponsored someone. But I have given advise when asked and enjoyed doing it, heard a few mini 5th steps as well, when people were finding a particular situation hard to put behind them. I can fully understand the satisfaction that would come from sponsoring someone, but I am sure that we can be successful and happy in the program without it.

The book says - “Practical experience shows that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. It works when other activities fail.” I suppose by intensive work they mean sponsoring, but any work with others is valuable, even writing here where people you likely will never know might read what you say, that is helping others as well. When they say - “It works when other activities fail.” I am afraid some folks may not be too sure what those other activities are, some have been mentioned here like Robert said getting involved in other service work, but I believe what they mainly mean by other activities, is enlargement of our spiritual condition. When we are on fire spiritually, our days are filled with consideration and kindness for everyone we meet, and the book says if we are spiritually fit ... “the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid.” So for anyone feeling fearful and self centered, spiritual growth is the answer.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Return to Sponsorship