I'm at the point to find a sponsor

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?

Re: I'm at the point to find a sponsor

Postby Brock » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:17 pm

Welcome to e-AA Lutherrall, I like what you say here -
For me the powerlessness and un-manageability ideas were driven home by workshops by Chris R.

He is one of those I find that some like and some don't, some say he is controversial and spits fire. I didn't know of him until I joined here and my friend avaneesh told me, like you I found he is expert at driving home the powerlessness, and he helped me tremendously. Hope to see more of you on these boards, good AA folks and discussion here, sometimes a little heated like a Chris R talk, but all in the spirit of AA discussion.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Re: I'm at the point to find a sponsor

Postby Cristy99 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Nitros:

I went to a lot of meetings before I found someone. I patiently sat and listened. I went to meetings at times I didn't usually attend. It turns out I found the person that had exactly what I wanted at a 7 am meeting. He was of the opposite sex, which is NEVER recommended, but thankfully, he is homosexual...so I felt comfortable asking him to be my sponsor. He works my ever-loving butt off, and the dividends that it has paid are immeasurable. In fact, after having completed a very lengthy assignment he gave me I had a HUGE spiritual experience. I still get all shaky and goose-bumpy when I think about it!!!

Also, please know that if you discover the sponsor you choose isn't right for you, it is absolutely necessary to find a new one. You are not stuck with the first sponsor you choose. It happens all the time!!! Your recovery is the most important thing!! I am on my third sponsor.
"Talk doesn't cook rice."
~ Chinese proverb
Cristy99
Forums Enthusiast

Previous

Return to Sponsorship