Sponsorship and ACCOUNTABILITY

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
No.3
Forums Enthusiast

How do I say this more politely?

Post by No.3 »

Reborn wrote:
No.3 wrote:Yes, thank you.
I've heard from a gentleman I'd like to Step-sponsor me (yet again) that his first spons passed along his 4th Step notebook through 2 more spons and the third spons asked (around his 15th year of Sobriety) "Are you ready to make amends to _________, now?" Is that in line with your experience also, Reborn?
I recently had a sponsee that was unwilling to make amends to his mother. He claimed he owed her nothing, that she harmed him in some pretty shocking ways.

I went right to the big book starting on page 76...
...another example of God doing for us what we cannot do for ourselves.
If you want to tell a long personal story, feel free - in your own ESH, please do!
(E/ = experience: what you've done, what you were told, what you've seen, read, heard.)

Let's keep it simple. A request for ESH should not be construed as a pretext or invitation for opportunistic, gratuitous BB spam. Spam is rude! Long cut'n'pastes from the BB, transcriptions of Joe &Charlie, excessive reproduction of basic and familiar AA materials presumably seen before, and so forth, is both unnecessary and unwanted. Very short BB reference plus a link is sufficient, thanks!

Paige, I'm sorry I missed this a few pages back:
PaigeB wrote:Capital letters in the title of this thread are considered "yelling". You all know what I mean.
No,it's not. Can you clarify:
1) Do you have a net etiquette reference for that presumption of yours? (ALL CAPS may be "yelling" ; one word is not.)
2) We see other thread titles with words IN CAPS elsewhere on e-aa, without your rebuke.
3) I think that's a bogus criticism, since your site has no such rule(s) posted.

If I'm mistaken, please show these Rules now. Transparency is lacking here, as noted before. Thank you!
Last edited by No.3 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Group demands total loyalty to the inner group. Some have had to leave the movement because of the Groups' demands which conflict with truth or duty." The Oxford Groups by Herbert H. Henson, 1933, pages 73-74.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Sponsorship and ACCOUNTABILITY

Post by PaigeB »

Sorry about that rebuke. Your are correct that it is not a posted rule - we don't have many rules... I guess I just figured since the onset of internet technology, ALL CAPS was considered yelling. But many of my writings here contain words in all caps and I stand corrected. Thank you.

This thread has now reached page 5, and I will allow some final comments to close out this topic - or feel free to start a new one!
Cling to the thought that, in God's hands, the dark past is the greatest possession you have - the key to life and happiness for others. With it you can avert death and misery for them. page 124 BB

Spirit Flower
Forums Old Timer

Post by Spirit Flower »

Layne wrote:
Hey man, I see a civilised post from you. This is a much better way to post your experience, opinion.
Not trying to start anything, just trying to show how perceptions can widely vary, in an effort to work towards a more positive sharing atmosphere on the forum, but to me, this type of comment could be viewed as a back handed compliment (or left handed compliment, or asteism).
I agree with Layne.

Yes, I saw Avaneesh reply to Layne.
...a score card reading zero...

Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Re: How do I say this more politely?

Post by Reborn »

No.3 wrote:If you want to tell a long personal story, feel free - in your own ESH, please do!
(E/ = experience: what you've done, what you were told, what you've seen, read, heard.)

Let's keep it simple. A request for ESH should not be construed as a pretext or invitation for opportunistic, gratuitous BB spam. Spam is rude! Long cut'n'pastes from the BB, transcriptions of Joe &Charlie, excessive reproduction of basic and familiar AA materials presumably seen before, and so forth, is both unnecessary and unwanted. Very short BB reference plus a link is sufficient, thanks!
Wow...quoting the BB is Spam now? Look back on this thread in particular No.3...your long winded posts are for a lack of a better word annoying. Who are you E-AA police...get over yourself pal. Long drawn out posts trying to prove how smart you are helps no one....and me sharing out of the Big Book on an AA site...how dare I?
We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others. BB pg 132

Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Post by Stepchild »

Yeah...I got a final comment...It looks like the circus has a new ringleader...I feel like I'm in the fricken Twilight Zone.

No.3
Forums Enthusiast

Not at all, keep coming back!

Post by No.3 »

A polite request.
Unless you're a BB troll, I'm sure it's easy to understand, respect and follow.
Last edited by No.3 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Group demands total loyalty to the inner group. Some have had to leave the movement because of the Groups' demands which conflict with truth or duty." The Oxford Groups by Herbert H. Henson, 1933, pages 73-74.

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

Stepchild wrote:Yeah...I got a final comment...It looks like the circus has a new ringleader...I feel like I'm in the fricken Twilight Zone.
Doo-doo-DOO-doo, Doo-doo-DOO-doo....

:lol:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Re: Not at all, keep coming back!

Post by Reborn »

No.3 wrote:A polite request.
Unless you're a BB troll, I'm sure it's easy to understand, respect and follow.
WTF is a BB troll??? Just to be clear here...you're asking people to not quote the big book but it is quite OK to quote whatever you see fit? Again are you the E-AA police?

ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Post by ezdzit247 »

Reborn wrote:
Wow...quoting the BB is Spam now?
Nope. It isn't and that's not what he said. This is what he said is spam:
Long cut'n'pastes from the BB, transcriptions of Joe &Charlie, excessive reproduction of basic and familiar AA materials presumably seen before, and so forth, is both unnecessary and unwanted. Very short BB reference plus a link is sufficient, thanks!
And I agree with No.3's description. Spamming the threads with BB quotes is not only rude, it's not helpful. Sharing your own ESH on how a particular passage from the BB or anything else was helpful to you when another member or newcomer post a topic question is very interesting and very helpful. It's like when someone asks the time, they just want to know the time and that's what they're listening to hear, not instructions on how to build a clock.
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

No.3
Forums Enthusiast

As I supposed...

Post by No.3 »

Reborn wrote: No.3...your long winded posts are for a lack of a better word annoying. Who are you E-AA police...get over yourself pal. Long drawn out posts trying to prove how smart you are helps no one...how dare I?
Chillax: just ignore what you so obviously hate, here. You know: Patience, Tolerance and all that. But please don't clutter and consume the bandwidth with spam. Much appreciated.
Last edited by No.3 on Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Post by Stepchild »

ezdzit247 wrote: And I agree with No.3's description. Spamming the threads with BB quotes is not only rude, it's not helpful. Sharing your own ESH on how a particular passage from the BB or anything else was helpful to you when another member or newcomer post a topic question us very interesting and helpful.
Of course you agree with him. But what about the newcomer that knows nothing about the book...Wouldn't it be a nice way to get a look at it? Maybe even used in the right context?. So selfish...How do you know it's not helpful to someone?

Reborn
Forums Long Timer

Post by Reborn »

WTF is wrong with you people????

Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Post by Stepchild »

Reborn wrote:WTF is wrong with you people????
That is the million dollar question.

Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Post by Tosh »

ezdzit247 wrote: Sharing your own ESH on how a particular passage from the BB or anything else was helpful to you when another member or newcomer post a topic question us very interesting and helpful.
Yes, otherwise it's just some dull stuff written in the 1930s that doesn't seem relevant. The ESH on the particular paragraph brings it alive.
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)

Stepchild
Forums Old Timer

Post by Stepchild »

Tosh wrote:
ezdzit247 wrote: Yes, otherwise it's just some dull stuff written in the 1930s that doesn't seem relevant. The ESH on the particular paragraph brings it alive.
And you agree too...Down with Big Book spam!