Wanting to work with others

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
RecoveredAlcoholicJ
Forums Newcomer

Wanting to work with others

Post by RecoveredAlcoholicJ » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:08 am

Hi all, my name is Jake and I am from the US. My sobriety date is 2-16-2011. I'm in my mid 30s.

After getting sober the biggest thing that helped me after working steps 1-11 was helping others. My schedule in the town I live in currently has deficiencies when it comes to finding new people to work besides the pool I currently am a part of. I'm reaching out online to overcome said deficiencies.

I'd like to work with anyone who's wanting to. I use mainly the Big Book.

Let me know who's interested please. My sobriety thanks you.

Jake

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Re: Wanting to work with others

Post by leejosepho » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:18 am

Welcome, Jake, and keep watching for opportunities even while jumping right in with the rest of us here!
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:20 am

You can be part of on-line sponsors committee and help people who are looking for support via on-line.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:13 am

We have a 12 Step Committee and a temp sponsor program here at e-aa.
http://www.e-aa.org/help.php
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 9:19 am

Paige, are you sure this is the link he needs to use? I thought its a link to submit a request for a temp-sponsor. Unless the link is hidden somewhere on the same page, the link wont work for requesting to be a sponsor.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:29 am

RecoveredAlcoholicJ wrote:Hi all, my name is Jake and I am from the US. My sobriety date is 2-16-2011. I'm in my mid 30s.

After getting sober the biggest thing that helped me after working steps 1-11 was helping others. My schedule in the town I live in currently has deficiencies when it comes to finding new people to work besides the pool I currently am a part of. I'm reaching out online to overcome said deficiencies.

I'd like to work with anyone who's wanting to. I use mainly the Big Book.

Let me know who's interested please. My sobriety thanks you.

Jake

Jake welcome

You have everything you needed 5 minutes before you knew it if you be alcoholic, PERSONAL willingness"! Want to help? Who? members already here- LOL or prospects out there?
Being sober you are already helping at the least your family by being an example and not looking for one - It begins within so welcome to non co dependent Alcoholics Anonymous and help prospects not here yet - Bill w. went to churches, hospitals and skid row/ streets, there you will find prospects that may not know of A.A if your lucky
Or are you interested in menacing into peoples life's already here without them asking and using a temperance on them as if they asked?
Maybe you have every thing you need right now here at the least, being sober. Take a closer look before your temperance flairs be a friend amongst friends be a member of a great fellowship - be a leader not a follower of someone else s personality be yourself and you will surly help. Thanks for "BEING" here

Larryp713
Forums Contributor

Post by Larryp713 » Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:21 pm

Hi Jake,

That is awesome you are looking to serve. The Big book states that nothing will so much insure immunity from drinking as intensive work with other alcoholics. By seeking to share your experience and help others, you are practicing the principles of this program. I hope you are blessed to find those ready to work with you. Of course, local AA meetings are the best place to get involved. I don't have any active sponsees right now, but I have a couple of new guys I speak with and support. It really helps me stay grounded. Welcome to E-AA.
Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny!!!

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:02 pm

Jake,
Everyone has experience good or bad alcoholic or not all has experience, seems not many have the awaking that the twelfth step talks about after it was changed from spiritual experience to spiritual awaking. The experience A.A is talking about, is about the book not the praise of people/ sponsors. A lot of people like to think A.A is about themselves. Ask any sponsor that thinks they need to administers the message to people "ALREADY HERE" yet help non to the doors of A.A for the first time. - Take a closer look you have everything you need, you brought it with you, Alcoholic and PERSONAL willingness, don't let people con you and try to sell you something different all for the good of A.A, help someone in, not out - I Thank God for A.A and thank A.A for the God that keeps me out of hell right here on earth - Again thanks for BEING here