OMG - Honest questions deserves honest answers !

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
Service
Forums Contributor

Re: OMG - Honest questions deserves honest answers !

Post by Service » Tue Nov 03, 2015 4:12 pm

I understand you think your thinking got you here and there is no quarrel you needing a co-dependent or institution.

Alcohol got me here and an unsuspected inter resource I call God keeps me here. Not another co-dependent.
I have so many friends in A.A I don't need ONE and instead of your institutional way, I found the fellowship of A.A, the educational variety to be wonderful instead of another personality to have to administer something out of their own fear, Only but for the GRACE of God there go I

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:22 am

Thanks for sharing Clouds & Larry.

Meet Service - sometimes service does not play well with others.

Welcome back Service. Be a kind person, unless you had other plans.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Post by leejosepho » Wed Nov 04, 2015 4:37 am

Service wrote:Alcohol got me here and an unsuspected inter resource I call God keeps me here.
I have had to break that down a bit in order to truly make sense of it. Alcohol was the only "solution" my mind or thinking had ever really known much about in any kind of visceral way whenever I had again been sufferingly-sober for very long, and then the physical allergy part of alcoholism had become my second problem whenever I drank...and then the pain of all that drove me back to the pain of reality while sober that would then again drive me right back to drinking. So, alcohol had never really been my problem all along where my lack of knowledge, my thinking and my powerlessness certainly had been.
I have so many friends in A.A I don't need ONE...
I had only one when I first got started, and sometimes I am still not all that certain about some others.
...and instead of your institutional way, I found the fellowship of A.A....
I believe that is a very valid point and A.A. certainly is organism rather than organization, but I doubt I could have comprehended, found or recognized its invisible boat if there had not first been some kind of door with some kind of sign showing me where it docks.
I found...the educational variety to be wonderful instead of another personality to have to administer something...
Same here, but it still took the administration of a bit of first aid to get me started.
...out of their own fear...
Nah. Those people had learned to be fearless and thorough long before I ever happened along.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

Larryp713
Forums Contributor

Post by Larryp713 » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:15 am

PaigeB wrote:Thanks for sharing Clouds & Larry.

Meet Service - sometimes service does not play well with others.

Welcome back Service. Be a kind person, unless you had other plans.
Thanks, Paige. I am just seeking to carry the message that has given me a new life, based on my experience. I don't want to argue with anybody. I just don't want complete falsehoods and misconceptions to go unchallenged, because it might drive away a newcomer who really needs the hope this program provided me. I think most posters on these forums share experience, strength, and hope, and only a few are fed by ego and hatred.
Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny!!!

clouds
Forums Long Timer

Post by clouds » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:17 am

Service wrote:I understand you think your thinking got you here and there is no quarrel you needing a co-dependent or institution.

Alcohol got me here and an unsuspected inter resource I call God keeps me here. Not another co-dependent.
I have so many friends in A.A I don't need ONE and instead of your institutional way, I found the fellowship of A.A, the educational variety to be wonderful instead of another personality to have to administer something out of their own fear, Only but for the GRACE of God there go I
Hey Service, I need to re clarify something. you must have read in my first post on this topic: that I wrote that I HAD a sponsor for taking me through the steps in my first year.

I don't have a sponsor any more.
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:30 am

Have we veered from the Honest questions Discussion? We are on the 4th page here.

Restart any NEW THREAD for DEBATE in Registered discussion.

I will move this to Registered Discussion at the same time I lock it.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65