You never know when...

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
Hanna
Forums Long Timer

You never know when...

Post by Hanna » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:33 am

I ran into my 1st sponsor last night at the restaurant where I work. I knew her immediately, but it took her a minute. I was overwhelmed with emotion, she tried so hard to help me 8 years ago, the 1st time I admitted that I may need help. I now realize it was her words that I kept repeating as I would try to calm myself to sleep during those first restless days of sobriety:
" He has you in the Palm of His Hand",
"keep your head where your feet are",
"anything you put before your sobriety you will lose"
"what can you do about "it"(insert problem here) right now?
She always had me read and reread the Doctor's Opinion, (now I know why) and she would tell me the pages without numbers " are an important part of the book too.
It took me 6 terrible years to finally hear what she was saying, but I am so grateful God put her in my path back then, she did help me even though it wasn't apparent then. As she was leaving the restaurant she whispered to me "page xxxi."
Me again overwhelmed,
"About one year prior to this experience a man was brought in to be treated for chronic alcoholism. He had but partially recovered from a gastric hemorrhage and seemed to be a case of pathological mental deterioration. He had lost everything worthwhile in life and was only living, one might say, to drink. He frankly admitted and believed that for him there was no hope. Following the elimination of alcohol, there was found to be no permanent brain injury. He accepted the plan outlined in this book. One year later he called to see me, and I experienced a very strange sensation. I knew the man by name, and partly recognized his features, but there all resemblance ended. From a trembling, despairing, nervous wreck, had emerged a man brimming over with self-reliance and contentment. I talked with him for some time, but was not able to bring myself to feel that I had known him before. To me he was a stranger, and so he left me. A long time has passed with no return to alcohol.
ME THEN:
2 years ago I was fired from my job for drinking(utter disgrace and humiliation, arrested for drunk driving, on the verge of losing my home, crushing debts, fines & legal fees, and my husband and kids were planning on finding a place to live without me and I was still drinking.
June 17, 2012-The realization of what my life had become hit me, my first thought was of Katie, my 1st sponsor, I ran to the computer and looked up AA and found my way here. There are some here who will remember the trembling wreck I was when I arrived, I truly thought I was hopeless.
Now:
My family is intact, my mortgage is up to date, I found a job 2 days a week and took a second job as a waitress. The office job 9/10/2012 has turned into full time as the office mgr for a doctor and the waitress job has turned into 4 nights a week as floor manager.
After 2 years, I am due to get my license back next week, I was able to buy a newer used car with cash, no more debts.

Even though it took 6 years of hell for me to accept that I truly was an alcoholic and needed help, I am grateful I finally took the steps, I am grateful Katie's words came back to me when I needed them, I am grateful to be here~
You never know when the words you need to hear will come back to you, so happy they were still there waiting for me when I needed them.
Thank you to all the sponsors who give their time and ES&H and don't get to witness the miracle right away, be patient cause you never know when...
Overwhelmed WITH GRATITUDE this time!
Hanna
We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace

Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Re: You never know when...

Post by Squawking Hawk » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:51 am

Hannah,

Wow, a powerful story of hope in sobriety. Thank-you so much for sharing and for being a part of my sobriety today.

Together we stay sober.

Hawk
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:05 am

Loved your post, Hanna. Sounds like you are ready to stand at the front of the room and share your ES&H. Yours is a great story.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him

strider
Forums Enthusiast

Post by strider » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:25 am

Thank you, Hanna.

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 » Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:47 am

Hanna, thank you! I love reading you! :D : D

Big big congrats and yes, thank you to the sponsors who help us even when they're not there :)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

chefchip
Forums Long Timer

Post by chefchip » Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:59 pm

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what it is all about. Thanks, Hanna!
The only constant in life is change.

TonyWARMS
Forums Contributor

Post by TonyWARMS » Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:43 pm

That defines hope.
Thanks, Hanna

Peace, Tony
"Nothing comes to stay. Everything comes to pass".
(I don't know where I heard this)

maurits
Forums Enthusiast

Post by maurits » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:25 pm

Hanna wrote:
keep your head where your feet are,

anything you put before your sobriety you will lose,

You never know when the words you need to hear will come back to you
thank you hanna! i can relate,

earlier today i suddenly became overwhelmed and at that moment a classic AA phrase came to mind:

first things first,

it was just a whisper, but clear enough for me to notice its calming guidance,

and yes, i calmed down and resumed my work,

blessed that my higher power still guides me, step by step, one day at a time,

thank you all for sharing experience, strength and hope,

stay safe and connected,

kind regards,

maurits