should i pursue sponsorship?

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
flip
Forums Newcomer

should i pursue sponsorship?

Post by flip » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:26 pm

i'm struggling, i have very limited support system. I'm essentially living alone now, i literally have 2 friends, one is another alcoholic, the other has been far too generous, i feel i'd be too much of a burden to ask him to let me vent to him. Due to my past i find it extremely difficult to ask anyone for help these days

suggestions?
thanks you!

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: should i pursue sponsorship?

Post by PaigeB » Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:20 am

Absolutely get a sponsor. Absolutely pursue a sponsor. Pick someone who talks about how they went through the 12 Steps in our Book. Get someone who laughs alot, someone who enjoys their sobriety.

I love the literature. It is HOW millions of drunks live sober everyday. Here is a pamphlet on sponsorship. :D

http://aa.org/lang/en/catalog.cfm?category=4&product=17
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Post by becksdad » Thu Aug 08, 2013 2:56 am

Hi flip, welcome to the forums! Glad to see you here!

YES! Pursue a sponsor! Someone with the same qualifications that Paige mentioned above. A sponsor walks us through the steps... having practiced this program themselves, their experience is invaluable. Not only do we need a guide through unfamiliar territory, but this being a "WE" thing, a sponsor is usually the first person we come to share openly and honestly with in partnership. I believe there are several important spiritual principles involved with seeking and willingly working with a sponsor. And bottom line, it works. We can do together what none of us can do alone.

Hope to see more of you here, flip! Please keep coming back and sharing with us!

Thanks,

Ed

GaryD
Forums Enthusiast

Post by GaryD » Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:28 am

Sponsorship helps out a great deal. At a minimum I suggest getting a larger support network by listening to others at meetings and asking for phone numbers of those who seem well grounded in recovery. We need to pocket our pride as much as we can and reach out to others admitting we need help. Yes, we are a burden but a burden that others in the program gladly bear because they are working on further developing a manner of living which demands service work. Once you become a part of and achieve some good recovery under your belt, you will hope that some guy like yourself comes along with the needs you have so that you can work with him. It is the bright spot in our lives.
By the grace of God using the fellowship of AA and the twelves steps I have not picked up a drink since October 6th, 2002.

Gary D.

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:55 pm

When all else fails Let Go and Let God, everything or nothing that's the cross road.

kenyal
Forums Long Timer

Post by kenyal » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:08 pm

Our book mentions having a spiritual advisor, that is someone who can advise you on spiritual matters obviously...and the most spiritual journey AA offers is the taking of our steps.

So yes, it's proven out through experience that those who make use of this tool mentioned in our Big Book realize an advantage in accessing AA's solution.

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:37 pm

flip wrote:i'm struggling, i have very limited support system. I'm essentially living alone now, i literally have 2 friends, one is another alcoholic, the other has been far too generous, i feel i'd be too much of a burden to ask him to let me vent to him. Due to my past i find it extremely difficult to ask anyone for help these days

suggestions?
thanks you!
one man with this book in your hand. We believe and hope it contains all you will need to begin.

No.3
Forums Enthusiast

resurrecting threads, archiving, etc.

Post by No.3 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:47 pm

Someone bumped this thread.
Was that appropriate, really? Is the Topic/OP enhanced by new replies?
This OP is more than 2 years old and the Poster has apparently left this forum (2+ years ago.)
I'd suggest this kind of thread should be locked, archived or even auto-deleted by software.
"The Group demands total loyalty to the inner group. Some have had to leave the movement because of the Groups' demands which conflict with truth or duty." The Oxford Groups by Herbert H. Henson, 1933, pages 73-74.

leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

resurrecting threads, archiving, etc.

Post by leejosepho » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:03 am

No.3 wrote:Someone bumped this thread.
Was that appropriate, really? Is the Topic/OP enhanced by new replies?
Sometimes that happens because people do not notice the dates while searching the forums for one topic or another. And then in this particular case, something like having the book in hand as a sponsor in print can occasionally be someone's only option.
No.3 wrote:I'd suggest this kind of thread should be locked, archived or even auto-deleted by software.
I'd suggest not.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================

Drunk
Forums Newcomer

Post by Drunk » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:53 am

Looking for an online sponsor. Not quite sure how to get one.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:40 pm

I sent you a private message and answered on your other post. :wink:
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

Lali
Forums Old Timer

Post by Lali » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:07 pm

In this case, I haven't a clue why the person bumped this b/cos his message made no sense.
Step 1: I can't
Step 2: He can
Step 3: I think I'll let him