has anyone used the temporary sponsorship?

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
jaide987
Forums Newcomer

has anyone used the temporary sponsorship?

Post by jaide987 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:35 am

Just had a reply from a temporary sponsor and just wondering if anybody found it useful? What kind of support should this person be giving also?

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Re: has anyone used the temporary sponsorship?

Post by ann2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:13 am

Hi! Glad to read your question here!

A temporary sponsor is a random AA member who is volunteering for service. She is available to you to help you get acclimated with AA, to explain any AA ideas, and even get you started on the 12 steps of recovery.

If you and she work together well, you might consider asking her to be your permanent sponsor. Or, if you and she aren't agreeing, then consider asking someone else to sponsor you -- somebody you've heard in meetings and whose sobriety you admire.

The above description works I think both online and face-to-face. Basically, asking for a temporary sponsor is akin to saying, "I don't care who it is, I just need someone!" and then it's the luck of the draw. I actually did that myself, when I got sober. I ended up with a lady I would have asked anyway, and I should have, but that's the nature of our illness, we are just too proud to ask for help.

But for me the best experience I had with sponsorship was listening to a lady in the chat room, looking forward to seeing her there, and then finally realizing that I wanted her to sponsor me! And so I asked her :)

Sigh, it only took me about 17 years away from the drink to get to that point :wink:

so this is why a lot of AA groups offer online sponsors . . . because we alkies don't know how to ask :lol:

ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Re: has anyone used the temporary sponsorship?

Post by becksdad » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:52 am

Good morning, Jaide! Thank you for posting this question. To me, a good sponsor will be sort of a "guide" into the fellowship of AA and into the program of recovery - namely the 12 steps. A sponsor should be available to share their experience, strength and hope with us in light of their own efforts in recovery. Having gone through the process themselves, they can offer much to someone who is embarking on this journey themselves.

Beyond that, the main part of sponsorship rests with the person being sponsored. Willingness to follow through with a sponsors suggestions is indispensable. I could have the greatest sponsor in the world, but if I disregard the things he shares with me and do not take the actions suggested, I am likely to get nowhere. Sponsors do not get us sober... they help us along the way when we are willing. A sponsor will not chase us down, attempt to force any action, persuade us in any particular belief, become a banker or marital counselor, etc. They will, as the Big Book states, lay a "simple kit of spiritual tools" before us. It is up to us to pick them up and use them, or not.

This, of course, is just my own personal viewpoint of sponsorship in a nutshell. It is based on my experiences over the years of being both unwilling, and eventually, willing. I would also say that when we are willing, and really putting the 12 steps into our lives, a good sponsor will go to the ends of the earth to help us do that.

Thanks, and good luck on your journey! Congratulations on getting yourself a sponsor! It can be an amazing Journey!

Ed