Question as a Sponsor

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Re: Question as a Sponsor

Post by Tommy-S » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:59 am

Perfect example was the guy in the story "He Sold Himself Short".
AA after page 164... Outstanding! :D

Get a Sponsor, Have a Sponsor, Use a Sponsor. "True leadership, we find, depends upon able example..." (12 x 12, pg 124)

If he is not in contact, then why waste time?

I mean, if I offered someone a Drink and they didn't respond or show, I wasn't sitting at the bar bemoaning their loss, psychoanalyzing their intentions, background, childhood, etc, trying to out-think them into getting something they don't want... It just meant more for ME to drink.

To chase after someone may be to ruin a future opportunity. Pain is the great motivator and the Christmas partying has been the fast track to the bottom with so many of us. Wait for him to bounce, and find someone else until he does...

Thanks. Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!

avaneesh912
Forums Old Timer

Post by avaneesh912 » Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:18 pm

AA after page 164... Outstanding!
I don't understand this. Are you saying its out of the recovery section?
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:24 am

If already here whay are self proclamed sponsors control freaks? Letting go of someone family member or not takes more love than sickly holding on so it depends upon which one is sicker the sponsor or their pry, if already here. Helping anyone in trouble across the street is great – not being able to let them go after across is sick !!

ann2
Forums Old Timer

Post by ann2 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 12:00 am

Service wrote: Helping anyone in trouble across the street is great – not being able to let them go after across is sick !!
Well, sure, but we're all sick. We're alcoholics. It's nice at times to have someone's company on the other side of the street. If no company is desired, an explanation and a goodbye normally handles the situation. Honestly, as a sponsor I've been more than happy to let go, given the folk who are always ready to have the assistance :-)

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada

AlisonT
Forums Enthusiast

Post by AlisonT » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:01 am

It’s a different world out there from when I got sober. It has been a long time since I have had a sponsee that didn’t have drugs as part of their story. Misuse of prescription drugs is especially prevalent. I find it helps to get right into the first step. I find that for alcoholics, drug use either leads to alcohol, is used as a substitute for alcohol, or is used to enhance or counteract the effect of alcohol. In the first step I need to guide them to this realization just as I need to guide them to the fact that their life is unmanageable. I can’t tell them this, they have to come to it on their own. If it were my sponsee I would give him a writing assignment to look back at his past and see how drugs intertwined with alcohol.

Service
Forums Contributor

Post by Service » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:03 pm

Carry the message not the alcoholic - next time just be his friend not his keeper and your ego will be finally at rest.