How do I help my atheist sponsee?

Most of us who recovered with AA's program did so with the help of a "sponsor". But what is sponsorship? How do I get one? Who can be a sponsor? What makes a good sponsor?
Brock
Trusted Servant

Re: How do I help my atheist sponsee?

Post by Brock » Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:51 pm

JaninGV1942 wrote: We all experience moments of awe and wonder at times in our life....that is a spiritual experience....
I have a more formal belief perhaps in a God of my understanding, however my spiritual path has me agreeing 100% with this. Each morning I get an emailed meditation from a good friend of AA, the well known priest Fr. Richard Rohr, and he agrees with this as well. He knows and speaks about the other person I follow, Eckhart Tolle, they both encourage development of a consciousness which has us seeing the beauty all around, a few weeks ago I quoted this from the bible -
If you would learn more, ask the cattle,
Seek information from the birds of the air.
The creeping things of earth will give you lessons,
And the fishes of the sea will tell you all.
It takes practice, and I am fairly new to it, but when we can look at things without judging them, just experiencing them, those moments of awe and wonder come. Tolle says we can learn to live with that feeling most of the time, being present and non judgmental is important. Seeing even a bird hopping across my lawn, has this old ex drunken vagabond smiling, and happier than I have ever been.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."

Billcanojr
Forums Enthusiast

Post by Billcanojr » Sun May 26, 2019 9:05 am

The only requirement for AA membership is an honest desire to stop drinking ( Page xiv ) Big Book . Also get the AA pamphlet " Questions and Answers Sponsorship " it has all the answers you need .

ebear
Forums Enthusiast

Post by ebear » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:26 am

I have found the expression “Good Orderly Direction” (GOD) useful at times when my faith flags. When my faith is strong, I attribute my internal sense of that direction to the Spirit operating within me. When my faith is not as strong, my own honest and rational evaluation of a choice in front of me—really, what would my AA friends say is the right thing to do here?—points toward the Good Orderly Direction. By myself, of course, I could not find a Good Orderly Direction or sobriety. But when I joined AA and followed the direction of my fellows, the obsession was lifted. So at times, AA itself is the wellspring of the Good Orderly Direction that serves as my higher power and improves my life.
If you don't change direction, you'll end up where you're headed.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:47 pm

YES! "practical program of action"! With Direction of course.

With emphasis on practical and program and action. Bill's Story page 9.

This thing works if we work it ~ not if we just think about it.
If you want what we've got ~ you do what we did and continue to DO.
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:12 pm

THE UPWARD PATH

Here are the steps we took. . . .

ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 59

These are the words that lead into the Twelve Steps.
In their direct simplicity they sweep aside all psychological and philosophical considerations about the rightness of the Steps.
They describe what I did: I took the Steps and sobriety was the result.
These words do not imply that I should walk the well-trodden path of those who went before, but rather that there is a way for me to become sober and that it is a way I shall have to find. It is a new path, one that leads to infinite light at the top of the mountain.
The Steps advise me about the footholds that are safe and about chasms to avoid. They provide me with the tools I need during the many parts of the solitary journey of my soul.
When I speak of this journey, I share my experience, strength and hope with others.

From the book Daily Reflections
Copyright © 1990 by Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc
Step 6 is "AA's way of stating, the best possible attitude one can take in order to make a beginning on this lifetime job... with most of them we shall have to be content with patient improvement." 12&12 Step Six, p.65

innermost
Forums Enthusiast

Post by innermost » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:29 pm

Hey Preacher

I know this post is lasts years and has been awhile.

I think the most important factor here is that you turn your sponsee over to God/HP.

Remember you are a human power.

And probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.
The first 164 pg. is the program!

84 Problems
Forums Newcomer

Post by 84 Problems » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:18 pm

Wow. Great topic. My sponsor and me are at odds. He is extremely happy to pray to the long-white beard god and chides me for not doing the same. I take classes on Zen Buddhism. I consider myself deeply religious but as far as the god question....I still have to check "no" on the god box. So, I get thrown into the Athiest bin. If you really read the Big Book, Bill is really uncomfortable with that. My god is the present moment. Reality. How do I pray to that? I meditate daily but apparently that doesn't count. That's not praying.

Long story, short. We are not well matched. I would ask that we part ways but due to my wife's job, we are moving to a far-away state soon.

PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Post by PaigeB » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:49 pm

84 Problems wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:18 pm
Wow. Great topic. My sponsor and me are at odds. He is extremely happy to pray to the long-white beard god and chides me for not doing the same. I take classes on Zen Buddhism. I consider myself deeply religious but as far as the god question....I still have to check "no" on the god box. So, I get thrown into the Athiest bin. If you really read the Big Book, Bill is really uncomfortable with that. My god is the present moment. Reality. How do I pray to that? I meditate daily but apparently that doesn't count. That's not praying.

Long story, short. We are not well matched. I would ask that we part ways but due to my wife's job, we are moving to a far-away state soon.
Welcome 84! I am an atheist too! Just got my 10 year chip in August. AA is my HP - unless I am polytheist and studying ALL the ancient Wisdom Walkers. But I do so like the Practical Program of Action.

Don't worry about getting a new sponsor if you really feel you must. We sort of hire a sponsor... we don't marry them. Maybe just say the words when they say to say the words. If Nothing hears you, what is the harm? I started out with thanking my innermost Self and the Universe Whirling for intuitive thoughts and actions... Then the Sick man's prayer - my short version "God save me from being angry so I don't kill anyone." At about 7 years I finally started to use the 3rd and 7th Step prayers from the Big Book. I am much more satisfied with meditation - I get very practical results like being about to PAUSE when agitated (page 87). Some people pray and never actually meditate. We all do what we do... this disease is deadly so I hope I did enough today to give me a chance at an effective tomorrow.

Glad you are here! :D :D

84 Problems
Forums Newcomer

Post by 84 Problems » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:56 pm

Paige B, Thanks so much for your kind reply. I went to an agnostic meeting last week and am planning to go again on Sunday (tomorrow). I called my sponsor and he was happy about both. We will see where this takes us.

Layne
Forums Old Timer

Post by Layne » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:10 am

I lean more towards zen, Buddhism, and mindfulness than i do towards the long-white beard god and prayer. I have no conflict with the AA program nor the twelve steps. For me, they mesh just fine with my beliefs.