Service

From that ten-cent phone call and a cup of coffee to AA's General Service Office. What's your take on service?

Service

Postby stephbridget » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:54 am

When I first got sober, I felt I gave nothing back to AA. Today I realize it is not so much all that I do or that I have to compete.

I feel I give service by reaching out to other AA's each day, sharing in my online groups, sponsoring a lady, and just being there to listen.

I use to complicate it but today realize it is pretty simple :)
Focus on the Now...
stephbridget
Forums Old Timer

Re: Service

Postby keithd » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:59 am

Last night i was going out to do some yard work. The phone rang and it was one of the guys i've been going fishing with from the program. We talked about getting togather this weekend,what bait to use and the fish we never caught last week. AA did not come up . But by the time i got off the phone i felt a part of- rather then a part from. To me it's all service work (Preamble) OUR PRIMARY PURPOSE IS TO STAY SOBER AND HELP OTHER ALCOHOLICS ACHIEVE SOBRIETY. So sounds like to me if i stay sober thats service work.
keithd
Forums Contributor

Postby chefhick » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:55 pm

I take your point though I would pose this: We cannot carry the grace of the program without staying sober ourselves. We can share this grace in many ways. Our actions, speech, writing, listening and believing are but a few. Like parts the body, we are all vital of the whole. Is one part more important than another? Is the listener less than one who shares? The coffee maker at meetings removed from ones who go out for an intervention? Our lives have been a search for the groove in which we fit. Service to the primary purpose is where the goodness can flow through us like the rhythms of the universe.

I thought for a long time that just not drinking was enough. For me it has to be more than that. Relaying these thoughts is part of it. Thanks
chefhick
Forums Newcomer

Postby Scott_In_PA » Sat Aug 05, 2006 9:53 pm

Yup, service covers all levels and many facets. From our own, personal interactions with another alcoholic to being DCM; and no...I don't believe that any one part is more important than the other. As long as all parts that we serve are served with a spiritual understanding and our Primary Purpose up front [as prescribed in the Big Book] we can't go wrong.

Cool topic!

Scott
There IS a solution!
Scott_In_PA
Forums Newcomer

Postby tensteppin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:28 pm

Hi, Just a question.
How is rotation related to annonimity as indicated in the traditions checklist
tensteppin
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Jim 725 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:16 am

"Hi, Just a question.
How is rotation related to annonimity as indicated in the traditions checklist"
What checklist???
Jim 725

Postby tensteppin » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:45 am

Traditions Checklist - from the A.A. Grapevine
Service Material from the General Service Office

These questions were originally published in the AA Grapevine in conjunction with a series on the Twelve Traditions that began in November 1969 and ran through September 1971. While they were originally intended primarily for individual use, many AA groups have since used them as a basis for wider discussion.

Copied and pasted from official AA site
tensteppin
Forums Enthusiast

Postby FudgeBob » Sun Aug 27, 2006 11:07 am

Rotation among home group members in service positions gives everyone a chance. Those that oppose rotation might turn into "bleeding Deacons", but upon accepting rotation may grow into the "Elder Statesman".
FudgeBob
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Service » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:54 pm

Is your labeled sponsor a bleeding deacon follower who cannot rotate as you use them to break anonymity ? or do you use the fellowship and share amongst the many friends? Don't get religious on me now, just a question.
Service
Forums Contributor

Return to Service