e-AA Temp Sponsor service

From that ten-cent phone call and a cup of coffee to AA's General Service Office. What's your take on service?

e-AA Temp Sponsor service

Postby Todd M » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:48 pm

Subject: Needed Temporary Sponsors
Fwd from Email Coordinator

There is an ongoing need for temporary sponsorship here on e-AA and being of service to the still suffering alcoholic is what this program is all about. If anyone would like to be on the list to become a temporary sponsor please visit:
www.e-aa.org/form_sponsors.php

There is a pamphlet on the AA web site (aa.org) called Questions and Answers on Sponsorship, which is a good resource and guide to sponsoring. The pamphlet is Included in the following link below.
http://www.aa.org/lang/en/catalog.cfm?c ... product=17
There is Hope, Todd M
Keep it Simple

The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link:
http://www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
Todd M
Forums Long Timer

Re: e-AA Temp Sponsor service

Postby Tommy-S » Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:41 pm

Delete
Last edited by Tommy-S on Sun May 06, 2012 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:09 pm

I too would like to hear more on the ES&H of long time temp sponsors. I have been doing it, but with no real feedback as they all seem to drop off without a word. Maybe they eventually went to f2f or decided they did not wish to use the program now.

2 or three women I have met through this service work actually live within 50 miles of me and another less than 3 hours! It is the luck of the draw who you get, but isn't that neat?

How do you do it? First I make sure they have or get a BB and a 12&12. I suggest they read a chapter or a few pages for discussion. None of them has gotten as far as the 4th Step though.

I look forward to hearing all the ES&H!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ann2 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:34 am

I didn't have any options. I had to have long-distance sponsorship. I tried LIM, Loners Internationalists Meeting, but it was then I discovered that my handwriting had suffered terribly by my reliance on the computer. and if I was going to type it, why not email it? So I did 4th step via email but everything else with my BB.

As a sponsor, I have successfully brought only 4-5 ladies through the 4th step long-distance. One of them I made a visit to Ireland to do the step 5 with. But yes, most drop off, to the point where I am taking time off from that service. I don't have time right now to talk to ladies who won't do it. Even the ones who approach me directly, who know me through the mailing lists, don't follow through, but at least they asked, so I work with them for as long as they are there.

Everyone I've spoken to sponsors differently. I approach it as a BB study because after all we have to write. So I send along Dr. Paul's questions from the Unofficial Guide to the 12 steps (available on the Silkworth site) and we discuss the answers. If they answer them.

It was worth it -- the women who went forward brought me incredible growth. Took years and years and years however of sending out those step 1 questions with no response.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:45 am

Thanks Ann - I was actually in AA with a few 24 hours when I went back out between the 4th & 5th Steps. At that time, I did not allow myself to be fully sponsored and actually showed up at my first sponsor meeting with my 4th Step in hand! I was more into the "sober fun" scene than I was the Program.

I think this makes me a strict Big Book sponsor, like my sponsor now. The Doctor's Opinion & the Step One questions are difficult long distance. I find that I needed to see her face when she told me she was like me ~ it has made it difficult for me to sponsor on line.

I think the reason I continue to be on the Temp Sponsor list is that ANY touch with AA, whether the new person stays or not, a seed is planted that is hard to unplant.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Sally » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:11 am

i agree with you Paige- i have been online since 1997- and i have
seen people come back and tell me they were here 4 or 5 years ago
and remembered some of what we said- and that we are here- We plant seeds here online-
i've been doing temp sponsorship awhile now and some jump in with
both feet at my step suggestions-- and some run away- don't like work!!-
but they remember we are here.
Sally
Sally
Forums Enthusiast

Postby leejosepho » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:14 am

"... it was found, to the astonishment of everyone, that A.A.'s message could be transmitted in the mail as well as by word of mouth." (Foreword to Second Edition)

I have been on the "temporary sponsor" list for just a short time and with only a little response back from people referred to me, but in our chat meetings I see the kinds of things Sally has mentioned as to "seeds" having been "planted" in the past.

Personally, "temporary sponsor" sounds to me a bit like "temporary 'recovery' ahead", but seeds planted are still seeds planted, and part of our job seems to be in at least *planting* them and then watching to see whether or when they might sprout and grow.
=======================
"We A.A.s do not *stay* away from drinking [one day at a
time] -- we *grow* away from drinking [one day at a time]."
("Lois Remembers", page 168, quoting Bill, emphasis added)
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Todd M » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:28 pm

e-AA.org Temp Sponsor team
My experience is very little; I am not on the e-AA temp sponsor team.
I am however on the 12-step reply team,
The link for visitors on our site is: http://www.e-aa.org/help.php
You can also use the “Get Help Now” button link…
Found on almost every page of this web site…
The link opens a Form that sends an email to the 12-step team.

For me, responding to GetHelpNow requests; helps keep “me” stay sober.
Often times, about once or twice a month, folks I respond to, begin longer private email conversations with me, not as a sponsor, simply a friend or aa buddy doing the AA program.
I mostly try to keep it simple, provide encouragement, recommend going to local meetings, seeking out a face2face sponsor, etc.
I must maintain Faith and Trust, that any AA group anywhere in the world, will be able to carry the message of hope, and reach out the hand.
I remind myself, that a group for Alcoholics will meet the needs of an individual far better than me alone…
So getting a newcomer to a Group, is my main goal.
On many occasions, local meetings are difficult, due to remote locations, or simply fear… then I encourage the newcomer to take advantage of what is offered by this Group on-line. Email, Forums, Chat, Temp Sponsors.

To me, in my opinion, “Temp” sponsor means, Step-1,2,3…
and then I will encourage seeking out a permanent face2face sponsor…
Help in whatever way I can.

My opinion its the same as far as “Open” meetings go…
At my large home group, every meeting has some newcomers, so to get to deep into the Steps 4+ serves the new struggling person very little help.
When I share I try to always stick to the step-1,2,3 surrender, hope, and courage…
Even when the topic might be step-4 and above, I share “the 1,2,3 foundation and then encourage sponsorship for the 4andAbove steps, and warn that sharing detailed inventories, or amends, in open meetings…
Might become a sad mistake.

To me, e-AA.org is an On-Line HOT-LINE

My Observations; the Forums venue receives and responses to many of the same sort of first time AA exposures of “calls for help”.
Chat venue also provides good camaraderie for the suffering alcoholic.
Chat posts announcements for the link to the “Temp Sponsor” team…
I was simply keeping the Forums venue in the loop.
I think that is what the email coordinator was doing with this email that started this topic… to inform or remind the Email venue of Temp Sponsor team.

More e-AA info:
our 12-step coordinator also provides feedback, needs and activities of…
our Temp Sponsor team (email list)… to the Member (business) list
I am not sure who is Leading the Temp Sponsor team at this time…

To contact the Temp Sponsor leader…
I use the same Form as visitors: http://www.e-aa.org/form_sponsors.php
As someone mentioned…
the leader does a rotation of requests to team volunteers…
and matches Males with Men, and Females with Women.

I would also remind newcomers to the e-AA group, that we have a great Links section, About-AA section, and Our Stories section.
There is Hope, Todd M
Keep it Simple

The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link:
http://www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
Todd M
Forums Long Timer

Postby Tommy-S » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:27 pm

Delete
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tommy-S » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:35 pm

Delete
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:35 pm

Tommy_S wrote:Once we're on the Temp Sponsor List (I, too, am not fond of the term Temporary...but I get it), how does the service committee contact us...do they use the Messaging on eAA or our personal e-mails.

Via the overall system, the committee's trusted servant sends an e-mail out to all people registered on the temp-sponsor list and specifically calls upon the next available man or woman.

Tommy_S wrote:Also, are there geographical considerations in assignments ...

No, not as far as I know. The temporary sponsor is simply given the information necessary for making contact with the individual asking for a temporary sponsor.

Tommy_S wrote:I'm thinking someone nearby might be beneficial as it improves the possibility of making that F2F meeting one day, or hooking up with the phone

Anything is always possible, and I typically include my phone number along with letting the individual know I have free long-distance service within the continental States.

Tommy_S wrote:Also...what happens if the two of us do Not make the connection?

Like "Ruth" taught some of us very well many years ago, we extend our hands and see what happens.

Tommy_S wrote:In F2F, if a fellow can not or will not work with me, I (hopefully) know enough about him that I can suggest he hook up with another sponsor who story/experience is similar.

I am not sure if this arises on eSponsoring, but in the event it's clear we're not compatible, could they be 'recycled' back for another member?

Some of the service's e-mails I have seen have included some suggested/requested/offered "adjustments" along that kind of line.
=======================
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tommy-S » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Thanks for the responses...
Last edited by Tommy-S on Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:58 pm

Tommy_S wrote:Thanks for the responses...count me in

If you want to get in through the back door like I did, just fill out the request for a temporary sponsor and say you want to *be* one!
=======================
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:51 am

Great conversation! Thanks Lee, Tommy and Todd for going through the basics. I'm going to recommend this thread to the temp sponsors committee through the mailing list.

Ann
listkeeper for the temp sponsor mailing list
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby leejosepho » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:21 am

ann2 wrote:Great conversation! Thanks Lee, Tommy and Todd for going through the basics. I'm going to recommend this thread to the temp sponsors committee through the mailing list.

Ann
listkeeper for the temp sponsor mailing list

One suggestion I might make is that some kind of "do-not-do-anything-just-yet" note be added to the initial copy of the request automatically sent out to all (since the request has yet to be assigned to a sponsor at that point), or even that the initial request only be sent to the list keeper who then assigns it ... and I think that kind of discussion might actually be going on among several folks at the moment.
=======================
=======================
leejosepho
Forums Old Timer

Return to Service