Read This First! 51st General Service Conference

From that ten-cent phone call and a cup of coffee to AA's General Service Office. What's your take on service?

Read This First! 51st General Service Conference

Postby Dean C » Wed Mar 07, 2001 7:01 pm

The 51st General Service Conference meeting takes place April 22 through 28 in New York City. The theme is "Love and Service." On the agenda this year are several items that may be of interest to AA members.<P>Where we live (Monterey Peninsula, California, which is in the California Northern Coast Area of AA), we're fortunate to have a very active bunch of General Service Representatives (you know, those GSRs and their godawful boring reports). However, there are many groups and members who never see or hear about these topics -- even though every AA member has a right to voice an opinion on them since they affect AA as a whole.<P>Over the next few days, just for the heck of it, I'm going to post some of the topics and summaries. Your ideas and opinions are welcome. Though it's not the same as an informed group conscience, it should be interesting.<P>If you think that one AA member (or an AA group) cannot make a difference or cannot be heard because "General Service is all politics and bureaucracy," then, I assure you that you would be wrong.<P>One of the items on the Conference agenda this year originated in our area. In addition, a single letter I wrote a couple of years ago also resulted in a change in the way AA reported certain statistics. That isn't a comment on what a powerful guy I am (I assure you, the folks at GSO don't know me from Homer Simpson); it's just to let you know that in AA everyone matters.<P>Oh, I should mention that any summaries posted here were prepared by our General Service district's chairperson. Thanks, Bryan.<P>------------------<BR>"Whatever can be said <BR>can be said clearly." <BR>--Ludwig Wittgenstein<p>[This message has been edited by Dean C (edited 03-07-2001).]
"Whatever can be said can be said clearly."
-- Ludwig Wittgenstein
Dean C
Forums Long Timer

Return to Service