One Home Group?

From that ten-cent phone call and a cup of coffee to AA's General Service Office. What's your take on service?

Re: One Home Group?

Postby ann2 » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:18 pm

Hi Joe, welcome :)

I appreciate what you say about being responsible with your one vote that goes further in the tabulations. The thing I'd worry about is if I'm affecting the group conscience of several different groups in such a way that these groups become homogenous and unable to present different atmospheres for the newcomer. I mean, I'm not the most likable person in the world and it might be a relief for a newcomer to go to a meeting where I don't have a say :)

I prefer the option of being a guest at other meetings but having one home group where I feel responsible and attend the business meeting.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby crazybob » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:09 am

Each group is autonomous, each person is autonomous. The person belonging to more than one home group doesn't cause a problem with having more than one vote presuming the groups they belong to are not voting for other groups. In the election of officers, only one person is elected and is elected by a majority belong exclusively to one group. The other problem is with the enforcing the idea that a person must belong to only one group. AA gives us liberty to do what we want as long as it doesn't negatively effect a group or AA as a whole. Turning AA into a Totalitarian regime by enforcing one person/ one home group policy causes more problems than the alternative. Our leaders are but trusted servants they do not govern. We don't even tell people they can't drink. We say the only requirement for membership is the desire to stop drinking, it does not say anywhere a person cannot belong to more than one home group. Thanks BT
crazybob
Forums Newcomer

Postby tyg » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:30 pm

In my sobriety I have found that one home group is better for me. Having just one helps me better to grow spiritually. It teaches me how to stick it out no matter what and continue to learn to build relationships, create teamwork and be a better team player (in and out of AA). It teaches me to practice love & tolerance, boundaries and be true to self; and, breaks down my self-contentedness, false pride, resentments, judgements etc.

I used to have several home groups but found that I just bounced around between them all. I'd get bored, fed up, whatever with one and stop going there for awhile and spent more time at the other "home groups" I had. Sometimes, I would find someone to take over my service position so I could take a break from the group. I've become aware how my Self-will (and more) can run riot having more than one home group.

So, now I have one home group but I have other meetings I'm really found of. I am in service at those other meetings by coming to them early and staying after to help set-up/greet/close-up and talk with newcomers and other members. I like the principle in the quote below too. Makes sense to me.

But doing service at more than one may deprive someone from having the opportunity to serve there themselves, in addition the AA literature does suggest one home group,
~The secret to the AA program is the first three words on page 112~
tyg
Forums Long Timer

Previous

Return to Service