Thread lock down, what is the guidance for doing it?

From that ten-cent phone call and a cup of coffee to AA's General Service Office. What's your take on service?

Thread lock down, what is the guidance for doing it?

Postby LetgoJoe » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:58 am

I have noticed thread lock down's as of late and I don't understand in some situations and would appreciate any light you can shead on the subject as to what reason's are used for shutting them down. I have understood in some cases and in some I am left wondering why.

I noticed a moderator of a thread did a temporary lock down, which seemed to work well. Then another trusted servant that did not appear to be the moderator of that thread locked it down. I don't understand that. Is there a hierchy in moderators or a shared responsibility? If so can you share it or point me to the link that you have that possibly posted?

I may not understand how the moderators are set up so if you could break it down a bit for me it could be helpful. I was under the impression that the listed moderator of a thread was the one to make those decisions about it. I don't know, I am asking.

Do we shut down a meeting because a couple of people or even 1 starts fighting with people?

~Joe
Honesty gets us sober, tolerance keeps us sober. ~Bill W.
LetgoJoe
Forums Long Timer

Postby ann2 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:11 am

Hey, Joe, thanks for the interest! I am not really the one to answer, but I can say that I have learned a lot from online resources available to moderators of bulletin board systems. There is some very specific advice about closing topics where there is repetition, or where the postings are straying from the topics, or if there is a back-and-forth between 2 posters (basically asking them to step outside and let the meeting go on).

A lot of it is a judgement call, and I think the most important thing to see is that we are not making judgements on the people or the discussion, but on the presentation of the topic, whether it has been well-rounded, progressing, helpful, etc.

As far as who closes the topic, the e-AA forums went to a shared responsbility among all moderators a couple of years ago, so that in fact we do things in the forums of other moderators. It is nice having the support.

Are you interested in moderating? It is a great service job, I cannot recommend it enough.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Joe H » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:10 pm

Joe, all of us agreed to the following when we became a member here.

The e-AA Group - Registration Agreement Terms

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

We moderators do have certain folders that we keep an eye but we can not be here all the time so we help each other out. As you know some folders can get quite busy. There is also the constant barage of spammers that we clean out.

One thing I can assure you of is we do not look forward to locking or deleting post. In fact many times we discuss the matter before it is done.

Please do not take this personally as your thread was locked. I have had at least one thread locked. Once the thread is opened it is no longer our thread, it is for those who post to it and read it. When a thread becomes redundant or combative there is no sense rehashing what has already been sad and resaid.

BTW had the Administrator not locked the thread, I would of late last night.

If you need any further info, please feel free to get in touch with me. My PM and email is there in my profile and I am open to any member that has a question or suggestion or just to say Hi. :D
Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Postby LetgoJoe » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:37 pm

Thank you for your replies. I am much clearer on the subject now. I did some serious reading in the links provided by Ann and you have helped me to understand the process much better.

My main concern, since I started the thread, was that maybe I should not have. Your replies have helped me work that out. I got what I needed to know from it and I understand and actually agree with the reasons for it being locked as you have described them.

I can imagine the spamming can get to be a pain. I have logged on and saw a spamming thread for solicitation junk on here for a very short period. It was very early in the morning. But I can see that you are all very diligent at keeping it cleaned up.

Thank you all for your service!!

Let me know if I can do anything to help. ~Joe
Honesty gets us sober, tolerance keeps us sober. ~Bill W.
LetgoJoe
Forums Long Timer

Postby Ken_the_Geordie » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:32 am

Joe,

As a basic rule of thumb, moderators on any forum always receive some criticism. I was a moderator on a work related forum (I resigned because I was a 'naughty kid' especially when I'd been drinking heavily :oops: ) and you wouldn't believe the amount of whining there was directed at me; and not all of it was deserved.

I would say a pre-requisite for being a mod is to have a certain amount of thick skin, because you're never ever going to keep everyone happy.

Oh, and I like Oliver's style of moderation. He just says, 'right that's enough, this post is now pointless, locked. If anyone has any whinges about it, PM me'. Although he does say it more tactfully.
I'm more commonly known as Tosh (it's a nick name, but everyone I know in real life calls me it); just in case there's any confusion; I tend to use Tosh or Ken interchangeably and it confuses some; including me. ;-)
Ken_the_Geordie
Forums Old Timer

Postby Blue Moon » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:10 pm

In e-AA, the Forums Coordinator is elected by the group in the business meeting (an email meeting). He/she reports to, and is accountable to, the group as a whole via that meeting.

The job description of the Coordinator is available in the guidelines, or "op-docs", here.

The moderators are selected by the Coordinator and the other moderators. Together they are a committee. The moderators assist the Coordinator in carrying out his/her responsibilities.

In the forums, any moderator can do the job of any other moderator, just to cover for absences etc.

The Coordinator is usually an administrator of the forums, which means he/she can make software changes etc. But sometimes another member takes on the admin function, typically one of the group's web team.

Our current Coordinator is Juanita.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Re: Thread lock down, what is the guidance for doing it?

Postby Marc L » Sat May 14, 2011 1:09 pm

Hi Joe;
I'm Marc and I'm Alcoholic.
I've experimented a little with this forum's features and have found some recognizable patterns. :D
But it's a secret...(Oh Boy, I'm in twouble now!)

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.
Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Postby Steven F » Thu May 19, 2011 2:26 am

It is so secret that it is all described above ;-).

Wondering if I should lock this thread now... 8)
Steven F
Forums Long Timer

Postby Service » Sat May 11, 2013 8:03 pm

The GREAT OBSESSION OF EVERY ABNORMAL DRINKER IS TO CONTROL AND ENJOY !!!! Control freaks should not surprise you especially if your in the outside sponsorship religion system !!
Service
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Sat May 11, 2013 11:06 pm

Hi Service - Good to see you again, sorry that you are still upset about something I don't understand. Even being an atheist I find I can't agree that AA is religious.

Keep coming back. I hope you can find us welcoming and open. Please try to stay within the parameters of the Forum Guidelines so we we can all share and enjoy the recovery here.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Return to Service