District phone service and rides to meetings

From that ten-cent phone call and a cup of coffee to AA's General Service Office. What's your take on service?

District phone service and rides to meetings

Postby RobC » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:00 pm

Hey everyone,
Wanted to kind of take a poll. I am a phone captain for my district's information line. On a few call backs I've had people looking for rides to meetings. In my district this is something we don't really do, or at least not any more. I'm not sure on the reasons, I'm pretty new to phone captain. However if we want to pick someone up we can, but bringing another AA is recommended. I'm curious how many districts out there give rides regularly? How does your district handle ride requests?
Thank you
"This program is for people who want it, not people who need it." Page 315
RobC
Forums Enthusiast

Re: District phone service and rides to meetings

Postby PaigeB » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:48 pm

Oh that's a toughie! We don't call it anything other than "the hot line list" which is overseen by the District PI Committee. I don't think people call it for rides though. I have heard that some places like LA or Vegas don't do rides because it can become more like a free cab ride across town.

If I got a call and really felt like a gal had a sincere desire to stop drinking I would give a ride if I was able to. We then hand out a meeting schedule where all the gals at the meeting write their names and numbers and we encourage them to call us. We give rides or work together to get someone close to give rides.

Cold call rides though? Nothing in my experience, yet.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: District phone service and rides to meetings

Postby RobC » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:31 pm

Hey Paige
Usually it's people wanting meeting info or wanting to know about the program. I don't really want to pick up perfect strangers. It's different if I've met them at a meeting first. We recommend them to meetings in walking distance or taking the bus. I think some people just want to take advantage.
"This program is for people who want it, not people who need it." Page 315
RobC
Forums Enthusiast

Return to Service