Is this effectively an Intergroup?

From that ten-cent phone call and a cup of coffee to AA's General Service Office. What's your take on service?

Is this effectively an Intergroup?

Postby Peter.H. » Wed Dec 30, 2015 3:02 pm

Hi.
To me, The e-AA Group is effectively an Internet Intergroup, or Central Service Office (CSO). Both's primary purpose is the reach out to the alcoholic who still suffers (non-drinking as well as drinking).
Would I be correct to think this way about the e-AA Group?
"...unless this person can experience an entire psyche change there is very little hope of his recovery" - Dr. Silkworth. [Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Ed, p xxix.]
Peter.H.
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Is this effectively an Intergroup?

Postby Db1105 » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:18 pm

You would be incorrect about your assumption. e-AA may be an online group on its own, but has nothing to do with any other AA group.
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:32 pm

e-aa is a Group. As such we belong to an online Intergroup here http://aa-intergroup.org/
Check it out!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ann2 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:14 am

Peter.H. wrote:. . . primary purpose is the reach out to the alcoholic who still suffers (non-drinking as well as drinking).
Would I be correct to think this way about the e-AA Group?

That's our mission as a group. That's our 5th tradition responsibility. We are a group that uses our online meeting places to pass on the message of recovery we've found in the program of recovery offered by A.A.

Some groups work more actively than others, but it's a group's responsibility. The Intergroup or central office in different areas gives groups the opportunity to work together to accomplish their 5th tradition duty. Sometimes groups only offer money to fund the resources, sometimes the groups offer leadership and manpower as well. But everything taking place in an intergroup is directed by the combined will of the groups they serve.

Groups can and often do distribute leaflets offering with information on their meeting info, for example; this is perfectly acceptable. They don't have to check with an intergroup or anyone else. Some groups actually have their own phone contacts listed in the phone book; they don't have to go through an intergroup. It's just nice to have support of other groups and communicate with the A.A. fellowship in other parts of one's area, as we often have similar goals and find working together to be more efficient. But all the energy originates in the group.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Peter.H. » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:41 am

Thanks to your responses.

I recently resigned from a CSO co-ordinator position that was, oddly enough, managed by District.
It did not take me long to realize that District had other plans for the office other than serve the AA groups that supported the office. Or fulfill its primary purpose of reaching out to the alcoholics who are still suffering, drinking or not. It's a long story, but I tried in vain, for four months, to get District to fund 12th Step and PI & CPC work. For over twenty years AA groups have donated money to the CSO, but since District was managing it, District decided the donations was for their annual rallies. However, non of the AA groups in the district knew about this.

As I said it is along story, so to get to the point, District decided to no longer call it a CSO but a District Office so as to keep the funds. As soon as this happened, my role as CSO co-ordinator disappeared since two weeks ago. During me short time of service I had created a CSO Newsletter which quickly accumulated a lot of subscribers. In my last monthly edition I exposed what was happening between CSO and District. District did not like the truth being exposed. So they shut the CSO down. AA groups in the District are in shock, and no longer trust District.

Now, with the help of others, we are going to start a new AA group, and set it up according to the AA Group Handbook, and become a role model for the other groups - which have been apathetic lately. We are going to start our own 12th Step and PI & CPC outreach work - since there was none beforehand. Hoping to engage other groups to help us out. Maybe in the months or years to come, an autonomous CSO/Intergroup may become a reality where it is managed by the groups it serves.

I like the way e-AA operates as an Internet Intergroup.
Just before I resigned, I opened an account for one year hosting for a DIY website. The domain name was for the CSO. It still could be used since it has no reference to the District. It could easily incorporate some of the features here. But I do not think we would have the resources nor the need for a forum. However, a simple blog, and a chat room, may become utilized in the future. naturally, it will have anonymity safeguards, AA Group news articles, 12th Step stories (how we got 12th stepped), sell AA literature, meetings list updates, calendar of events, members blog and chat room, access to archives, and a fun page.

It all sounds like a lot of work, and it will be, but gratitude for our own sobrietywill to carry us through in carrying the message.
"...unless this person can experience an entire psyche change there is very little hope of his recovery" - Dr. Silkworth. [Alcoholics Anonymous, 4th Ed, p xxix.]
Peter.H.
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 6:11 am

District decided to no longer call it a CSO but a District Office so as to keep the funds.

District is funded by the groups. The GSRs should protect their groups if they see the District is abusing the funds. Unless of course, they are part of the crime, you can't do anything. Its alarming how in this structure people could still get away with something like this. Perhaps its the us to be blamed. We don't educate new-comers of the structure and the responsibility each sober member has for this organization to function effectively. In our district meetings you could see how poorly each group is represented each month. Even with the alternate GSR role, we still have no show from some groups. And some motions get approved very easily. Myself to be blamed, same goes on in the GCs. One of the GC meetings, there just 2, and they chose to read the abridged traditions format, hell broke lose subsequent meetings. The next GC there was good representation to have the whole traditions read restored.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Peter.H. » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks avaneesh912 for your response.

I can see what you are saying.
We are hoping that our new AA group will be running workshops on Group level responsibilities. We will be using the Australian AA Group Handbook for that. The workshops will be at a group conscience level. We hope to invite others, if they wish, to attend and (observe only) our group conscience workshops. It is hoped that these workshops will provide the necessary initiative for, at least our group, to be more responsible (proactively) for the three legacies of AA (recover, service and unity).
Peter.H.
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:46 am

Peter, thank you for sharing that story. Good luck with your wonderful work! Sounds like an exciting project to be a part of.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Return to Service