Setting Up A New Face to Face Meeting

From that ten-cent phone call and a cup of coffee to AA's General Service Office. What's your take on service?

Setting Up A New Face to Face Meeting

Postby Fatboyjim » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:05 am

Hello

I am in the UK not that I am sure that matters particularly, and I want to set up a new face to face meeting in my town and I was wondering if you guys had any advice, things to look out for/avoid etc?

In Fellowship,

Jim
Fatboyjim
Forums Newcomer

Re: Setting Up A New Face to Face Meeting

Postby PaigeB » Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:16 am

Hummm - I hear all you need is a resentment and a coffee pot!

But seriously, I think one would need some literature and some contact with the local AA service structure.
Here is the UK GSO Information: http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/find-aa-resources/world/1

You can also contact the International Service desk of the USA GSO for more info
http://www.aa.org/pages/en_US/contact-i ... ional-desk

Here is a pamphlet that talks about starting a new group
http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/aa-liter ... e-aa-group

Other literature that came up when I searched the USA GSO Website for "starting a new group"
SMF-142 - Sharing Experience on Coping with Influx of New Members
SMF-56 - Suggested Topics For Discussion Meetings
P-15 - Questions and Answers on Sponsorship
P-83 - A.A. for the Alcoholic with Special Needs

I hope that gets you started! Thanks for reaching with the hand of AA!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:49 am

Fatboyjim wrote:Hello

I am in the UK not that I am sure that matters particularly, and I want to set up a new face to face meeting in my town and I was wondering if you guys had any advice, things to look out for/avoid etc?

In Fellowship,

Jim

Hi Jim

If you have already selected the day, time, location and format of your new meeting, contacting your intergroup so they can formally list it on the local AA meeting schedule and going to lots and lots of other meetings to announce the new meeting is a really good idea.

Other than that, a coffee pot, some cups and a Big Book is all you need.... :D

Keep coming back.....
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:01 pm

One more thing - I don't know how your District works it, but around here (D8 in Iowa, USA) we can present a pile of flyers announcing the new meetings for GSR's to read during the announcement portion of the meeting.

AA is alive and well ~ and growing!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Fatboyjim » Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:53 pm

Thank you guys really helpful
Fatboyjim
Forums Newcomer

Postby clouds » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:19 am

How's the progress on the new meeting Jim?
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Postby desypete » Tue Apr 28, 2015 6:26 am

hi jim

first thing to do in setting up a new meeting is find other people who will help you run it so you can form a real group, there are a few meetings being run in my area with only 1 person doing all the jobs, it leads to resentments in aa as no one comes forward to help out or people try to run there meeting as if they own it because they started it, hence its so important to get a good few people to start it up with and to share the work load

if you just jump in and start one up and hope things will tick over without others to help you will end up in a real bind in time.

so before anything else i would urge you to find at least 3 others to help run it.

good luck to you
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby positrac » Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:23 am

PaigeB wrote:Hummm - I hear all you need is a resentment and a coffee pot!

I think it might help if the coffee pot could weigh in as well in case it was a slow start in the attendance.

Best of success on the new meeting and may it flourish with the right kind of need to the ones who still suffer with alcohol.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Return to Service