Working on 4th and 10th Step Software - Open Source

From that ten-cent phone call and a cup of coffee to AA's General Service Office. What's your take on service?

Working on 4th and 10th Step Software - Open Source

Postby rm6791 » Wed May 29, 2013 1:49 pm

I'm trying to gauge the level of interest in an open-source windows application for recording and storing 4th and 10th step inventories. I am a recovering alcoholic who is also a software developer. I've been working on an windows application for recording 4th and 10th step inventories, basically as a project to keep my skills sharp while I get my business going again. I would give it away, completely free of charge, and provide the source code for anyone who wanted to modify it. It's a fairly comprehensive app with the ability to store multiple 4th steps, following the worksheets that are widely used now. It will also have a recovery journal style component that follows the daily spot-check inventory model used by many people. It will be password protected and encrypted with support for multiple users. All the data will be self-contained in the app, no personal data or data of any kind will be sent from the app, unless the user chooses to share his/her inventories via email with a sponsor. I also plan do build in some reports to track day to day trends in the journaling component. I've made fairly significant progress on the app already and would like to know if there is enough interest out the for me to justify spending a good deal of tie on it. I am considering this service work, if people actually use it when its done, otherwise its just a fun project for me. Please let me know what you think. Thanks You!
rm6791
Forums Newcomer

Re: Working on 4th and 10th Step Software - Open Source

Postby PaigeB » Wed May 29, 2013 3:47 pm

No way in Heck I would share my inventory on line! Couldn't burn it fast enough when I was done LOL. Once on the net always on the net right?
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby rm6791 » Wed May 29, 2013 9:34 pm

The application uses a self contained database. No connection to the internet whatsoever, unless you choose to email your inventory to a sponsor (for people who live in remote areas and dont have access to meetings).
rm6791
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Thu May 30, 2013 12:15 am

Hey, we have lots of service opportunities in e-AA for people who are handy with the data bits. The problem usually is that those experts don't like doing the small stuff, or taking direction from that fuzzy entity known as the AA Group.

Service is sacrifice, putting not just somebody's else's needs ahead of your own, but passing along the Group's message in front of what you want to do. I'm not sure how this little toy of yours qualifies as service, unless you have a whole AA group who voted on your creating it, and from whom you are willing to accept criticism at every stage of the development.

As far as the actual project, it is my experience that HOW people do their 4th steps receives way too much attention. Just do it.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Thu May 30, 2013 1:07 am

Ann said: As far as the actual project, it is my experience that HOW people do their 4th steps receives way too much attention. Just do it.

Yes. There is an urgency to work the Steps and especially this nuts and bolts inventory and the sharing of that contents. Just do it. Do it to the best of your ability. Make an non-negotiable appointment to share it.

Just do it.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Mike O » Thu May 30, 2013 11:15 am

PaigeB wrote:
Ann said: As far as the actual project, it is my experience that HOW people do their 4th steps receives way too much attention. Just do it.

Yes. There is an urgency to work the Steps and especially this nuts and bolts inventory and the sharing of that contents. Just do it. Do it to the best of your ability. Make an non-negotiable appointment to share it.

Just do it.

Yes. Yes. Yes.

Nice, Paige and Ann.
:D
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Postby Db1105 » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:23 pm

No, No, No, NO, NO!

Write by pen or pencil, share with another human being and you Higher Power, destroy your 4th step. There is no need to save or store. Nothing is completely safe on a computer.

All one needs is a Big Book.
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby coachdonsul » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:07 am

RM,

I support your efforts and I still have my two notebooks long 4th Step in a file cabinet. I did not use any of the forms that I see out there now, the column style ones. I used a 226 item questionaire that came from some recovery program. I like the idea of including a journal format as a possibility in what you might create - something that it expandable and ongoing (Step 10).

With todays newcomers, who are often pretty computere savy, coming into the program, a tool like that would be welcome. And some of us old timers are nerds also and feel lost without our computers and smart phones. :D To those who worry about their computer data not being safe, I would say remind them that people in the program, including "sometime sponsors" have been known to gossip more than my PC.

Don

Don
coachdonsul
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Marc L » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:43 pm

Db1105 wrote:No, No, No, NO, NO!

Write by pen or pencil, share with another human being and you Higher Power, destroy your 4th step. There is no need to save or store. Nothing is completely safe on a computer.

I have got to disagree with you Db and It's not personal...;
Written work is a valuable tool to carry the message and pass on experience to newcomers. Destroying the work is counter-productive.

Some years ago I asked a Guy named Scott to do some StepWork with me.
He asked me to go do various things and I said 'Fine' and went and done them.
Then when I went back to see him I said 'Show me your work and I'll show you mine'
His response was 'I burned it'

Truth is he had actually never done the work.
So I told him 'You're useless... Bye' And that was the end of that Sponsor/Sponsee relationship.
No hard feelings. :D

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.
Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Postby Db1105 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:56 am

Marc L wrote:
Db1105 wrote:No, No, No, NO, NO!

I have got to disagree with you Db and It's not personal...;
Written work is a valuable tool to carry the message and pass on experience to newcomers. Destroying the work is counter-productive.

Some years ago I asked a Guy named Scott to do some StepWork with me.
He asked me to go do various things and I said 'Fine' and went and done them.
Then when I went back to see him I said 'Show me your work and I'll show you mine'
His response was 'I burned it'

Truth is he had actually never done the work.
So I told him 'You're useless... Bye' And that was the end of that Sponsor/Sponsee relationship.
No hard feelings. :D

Marc

I only share my experience, strength and hope. After my fifth step, my sponsor suggested that I get rid of my fourth step, that it was in God's hands now. I'm glad I did. Since my wife and kids have never seen me as an alcoholic, I'd hate to think of what would happened if they would of found any of them. In my 35 years of recovery, I haven't found the need to go back to any of my inventories. I'm sure as hell no the same dumb teenager I was when I got sober. Nor the same person I was in my 20's, 30's, 40's and now in my 50's. it's not important in who I was back then. What counts is who I am now.
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby Marc L » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:55 am

RM has an idea and coach says he has some raw data.
Windows already has Notepad and Wordpad text editors which can be used to create/maintain journals and lists.
So if this self proclaimed software developer can find a way to combine these raw materials in a creative and useful manner there might be interest in it. :D
I already know what I would do and how to do it but I ain't telling... You figure it out. :lol:

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.
Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Open Source

Postby MarcL » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:58 am

Several times on this Forum I've seen the following two questions;
'Am I an Alcoholic' and 'Is AA for me?'
I looked through my AA paraphanalia, scratched my head a bit and
then 'round Mid-December 2012 I decided to make a little Christmas Present
for e-aa.org. I called it 'TheZone'.
'TheZone' is a place designed to provide NewComers with answers for both those questions.
Long ago I had also mentioned that some sort of filter
could be helpful for the preservation of AA Integrity.
Turns out that 'TheZone' also serves that function very well.
DrugAddicts simply can't get through it.
Yes I know, I am devious.

Marc
MarcL
Forums Enthusiast

Postby ann2 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:30 pm

Hi I'm Ann and I'm an alcoholic. I am currently serving as the coordinator for the e-aa forums. My job is to represent the Group''s idea of how to pass on the message of recovery and we are pretty much agreed it's in the Big Book and in the 2nd tradition guided efforts that we are privileged to be a part of in our venues such as the forums.

Any one of us could come up with a way to nswer the newcomers' questions Marc mentions, but thanks to our working together as a group, we can put aside individual solitary occupations and fins something more meaningful to offer the newcomer -- by relying on each other and contributing to the whole.

Our way is the way of service, humility, sacrifice and often ego-deflation at depth. It is for me also the best way to encourage spiritual growth -- putting myself in the way of the need for it! :)

I am deeply appreciative of all the bumps along the road this group has allowed my disturbed psyche. And all I have to do is suit uo and show up, and be willing to put the group conscience ahead of my own desires.

My understanding of the group conscience of e-aa is that ALL questions can be answered one at a time, in the venues we operate, one-on-one, as they come. Over and over again, daily and hourly. That's what we're here for -- to share the help that was so freely given to us.

And what a newcomer may hear from one member may be entirely different from what another member says, and together, they may help to inspire a third answer in the newcomer's own experience to share in ongoing collaboration.

I like this active, group-oriented, HP managed cacophony myself. That is why I am a member of the e-aa group of Alcoholics Anonymous, the best darned AA group on the internet.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby becksdad » Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:06 pm

So very, very well said Ann!!! Just..... what a superb message, beautifully written! Thank you!

I really, really love that post on so many levels! Wow...

Ed
becksdad
Forums Long Timer

Return to Service