Treasurer

From that ten-cent phone call and a cup of coffee to AA's General Service Office. What's your take on service?

Treasurer

Postby Droopy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:42 am

Hello - 9 months sober and my AA home group has asked me to volunteer to become the treasurer of our small group. Does anyone have any advice for me? We have between 3 and 12 attendees at our weekly meeting. The current treasurer keeps our money in a plastic bag and when we have expenses she writes a personal check and disburses the funds to herself to cover it. Seem like a casual way to handle it but our treasury is small and maybe this is the common practice for small groups. I would appreciate any light you could shed on this subject for me. Thanks -- droop
Droopy
Forums Newcomer

Re: Treasurer

Postby Duke » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:43 am

My experience is that there are as many ways to manage money as there are groups. I know the GSO provides some guidance, but the two points I try to keep in mind are simplicity and accountability. Whatever process you use, keep it simple or the details will get lost and the group is likely to lose track at some point. Always have some designated people that the treasurer accounts to on a regular basis. It's a simple way to avoid misunderstandings.

Good luck to you. It's generally thankless but critical service work.
"If you are humble nothing will touch you, neither praise nor disgrace, because you know what you are.", Mother Teresa
Duke
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:22 am

Our group has an account under the group name and 2 persons who can access the account. We always have the Treasurer give an accounting at the monthly business meeting. Money is the one thing we are very formal about.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Robyn » Fri May 23, 2014 5:08 pm

HI!
I've held treasurer posts for really small groups and the district. It is a great way to do service and learn accountability.

I always created an excel spreadsheet to track our income and expenses and found it was a good way to keep folks informed. I sent out the monthly report in advance of the business mtgs via e-mail so folks could review before hand. We always set a budget for big events even in a small HG (home group) as we had an anniversary event and workshop each year. I've also used ledger sheets in the event not every treasurer feels comfortable using a computer. You can purchase them from an office supply store and look like a composition book.

In one HG, we had the treasury stolen (we got the money back only once) and we began a 2 signature check system. Some banks offer free checking and the account is so small, it never made much difference that it was under a person's name. You may be able to still find a bank that will allow you to name the account with the group name. Some banks want you to have a business checking to name it as the group.

My current group is really small (5 HG members) and uses the plastic bag method previously described by you. If you wish to go with a checking account, you can research online to get the account that fits you best. I would do some research and approach the group to get a group conscience. My experience has been that some HGs don't like an account as they fear it infringes upon anonymity.

If you contact me privately and provide an e-mail address and feel comfortable using excel, I would be happy to share a couple of spreadsheets I've used.

Hope this helps!
Robyn
Forums Newcomer

Postby Tommy-S » Fri May 23, 2014 10:36 pm

Hi Droopy,

And congrats on your Service Position... We have to give it away to keep it, and service has been vital in my sobriety.

You might want to get a copy of our AA "Service Manual" locally, or download/read it on GSO's site... http://www.aa.org

This link might take you right there:

http://www.aa.org/lang/en/catalog.cfm?c ... roduct=100 (Under Literature, then Miscellaneous)

Also under the "For Groups & Members' tab is a list marked "Financial Info" (left hand banner)... four pamphlets listed there.

And check the local Intergroup/ Central Office... one can get an idea of how some of the other groups function in the area, and maybe even pick up a "Service Sponsor" if they do that around there.

Thanks for your service... Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Return to Service