12 & 12 meeting format

From that ten-cent phone call and a cup of coffee to AA's General Service Office. What's your take on service?

12 & 12 meeting format

Postby llewellyn » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:00 pm

Hi there

A BB study group meeting I attend has decided to introduce the steps and traditions from the 12&12 book to alternate meetings. Are there other such meetings? I was wondering if I'd be able to get hold of any chair person and preamble readings intended for a 12&12 meeting. Any assistance much appreciated.

Blessings

Llew
llewellyn
Forums Newcomer

Re: 12 & 12 meeting format

Postby Tommy-S » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:06 pm

Hello Llew,

Not sure I understand what you refer to as 'alternative meetings'? Are they AA meetings using the 12 x 12?

Thanks...Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby llewellyn » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:10 pm

Hi Tommy

Yes, they are AA meetings. I meant alternate to the BB study format. So we want to have 2 x Big Book study meetings, 1 x step, 1 x tradition (AA 12&12) meetings per month.

Cheers

Llew
llewellyn
Forums Newcomer

Postby Tommy-S » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:27 pm

Thanks.

I attend 'Book Study' meetings, and we vary the format little from Big Book, As Bill Sees it, Living Sober, etc.

The only difference we have is the Chairperson explains whether the Group reads the entire chapter first and then comments, or whether we read a paragraph or two and open up for any comments.

On the first, one has to remember sections they want to comment on until the chapter is finished. On the other, we have the chairperson mark on a calendar (or notebook) where we leave off each meeting.

Also, when going chapter by chapter per meeting, we find breaking Step 12 into two parts usually better, as there is so much to read (about 20 pages). We usually break off the reading at page 117, and start the next meeting on "Most married folks...." so that gives 13 meetings to get through the 12 Steps.

Personally, I favor reading a bit and sharing while the thoughts are fresh (though we usually forget to mark down where we left off) than the 'chapter per meeting' deal... it almost 'feels' like a chore to finish the reading in order to share.

I don't know of a Study Guide for the 12 Steps in the 12 x 12, but there is a Traditions Checklist available from the GSO (http://www.aa.org/en_pdfs/smf-131_en.pdf) that asks a series of questions the group or individuals can answer... may wish to include.

Hope that helps... Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby llewellyn » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:53 pm

Great! Thanks Tommy. :D

Those questions are useful. I think we'll include them in the meeting to initiate discussion in the beginning. The new format will only start from next year, so we'll have some time to discuss what could work best. Thanks again for your advice.
llewellyn
Forums Newcomer

Return to Service