Getting Your Hands Dirty

From that ten-cent phone call and a cup of coffee to AA's General Service Office. What's your take on service?

Getting Your Hands Dirty

Postby Texan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:55 am

I enjoy service work. Last week two friends from the program and I built a handicapped ramp for another member that is opening a used book store aimed at providing literature for troubled teens that more or less get put into the program as part of their treatment regimen. Even though I rather doubt the bookstore will ever turn a profit, the owner/member had to apply for a business permit, put in a re-zoning application, go before the council, get it approved and go through all the other BS like he was opening a business. One of the requirements was to have handicapped access. This poor guy was just about at the end of his rope and surely couldn't have built one himself, so rather than pay to have a contractor come in a build one, we stepped and put it up for the cost of materials. We actually had a good time cutting up and carrying on all the while and in the end, helped the member out to be able for him to help others in their journey into sobriety and chemical free living.

While that was fun, and a little back breaking, the really fun service project is coming this coming weekend when we will celebrate 67 years of AA in our community. I'm going to fire up the pit and cook seven briskets, putting them on Friday night for the shin-dig Saturday afternoon. Few things give me pleasure than sitting back and watching a bunch of people stuff their belly full of food that I was able to put out there. Come join us for the fun!!
Keep on Keeping on, One Day at a Time.
Texan
Forums Long Timer

Re: Getting Your Hands Dirty

Postby ann2 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:12 am

Sounds like a blast, Texan. Building the ramp sounds like something my old AA group would have done. Great work. Great stocking up on the sobriety account :-)

ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Return to Service