"If AA Fails..." Quote

From that ten-cent phone call and a cup of coffee to AA's General Service Office. What's your take on service?

"If AA Fails..." Quote

Postby Tommy-S » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:52 pm

Clarifying an often misattributed saying...

"Origin of a Well-Known Quote" (Box 4-5-9 Feb/Mar 2006)

Many of us have heard that our co-founder Bill W. said, “If A.A. ever fails, it will be from within,” or words to that effect.

Actually, the quote is from the closing talk at the 1977 General Service Conference by Bob H., who served as G.S.O.’s general manager from 1968-1974. Excerpted here it is an interesting piece of A.A. history:

“. . . all of us are a part of the continuum of A.A. history. To some small degree, then, each of us is responsible for A.A.’s future.

Some of us, sometimes, are fearful of that future. We fear lest this development, or that problem, may destroy us all. Fear not, my friends. If this Fellowship ever falters, it won’t be because of ‘two-hatters,’ of professionals in the field. Nor will it be caused by future ‘Rand-type’ reports, or by members with ‘other’ problems. No, it won’t be because of any of these things about which we seem to worry so much.

If we ever fail, it will be simply because of us. It will be because we can’t control our own egos, nor get along well enough with each other. It will be because we’re just not wise enough nor good enough to hold this thing together. It will be because we think too much about our ‘rights,’ and too little about our obligations and responsibilities.

But I don’t think we’re going to fall apart. I think we are going to stick together and keep A.A. strong and growing.”
http://www.aa.org/en_pdfs/en_box459_febmar06.pdf

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Re: "If AA Fails..." Quote

Postby PaigeB » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:49 pm

Let's don't mess this thing up...
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby ann2 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 12:49 am

Ah, thanks for sharing that. It's one of my favorite historical "corrections" for lack of a better word.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tommy-S » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:47 am

Yeah, poor Bill... He's gets 'blamed for everything said from Jesus to Topak to Bugs Bunny by some of the characters I've met in the rooms... And they'll argue it, too :)

(We are a fun lot...LOL)

Of all that Bob H. shared, I like this 'best':

...we think too much about our ‘rights,’ and too little about our obligations and responsibilities.

Good reminder to stay focused on those Obligation & Responsibilities, and let others worry over the 'rights'

Thanks
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby matt z » Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:15 pm

I needed to read this. Thanks Tommy!
I always wanted to write something clever and cute, but then i realized that neither one have done much for me.
matt z
Forums Enthusiast

Postby desypete » Fri Jan 16, 2015 4:46 am

best thing i ever heard was those words

lets not mess this thing up

all my life i messed everything up as everything had to be done my way. aa is the only place i have found in the world that has shown me what my real problem in life really is and has been,

if people dont say the things i want to hear in aa what am i going to do ? stamp my feet, get a coffee pot and start my own meeting ? go around trying to recruit people who think like i do ?

or just keep my big gob shut and let it go ?

one action will bring about peace in my mind the other action will keep me locked up in controlling mode.
desypete
Forums Contributor

Postby Noels » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:58 am

Acceptance

And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation - some fact of my life unacceptable to me and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake.

Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept life completely on life's terms, I could not be happy.

I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.

(Alcoholics Anonymous 417)
There is only Love
Noels
Forums Old Timer

Postby D'oh » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:13 pm

Acceptance

And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing or situation - some fact of my life unacceptable to me and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly the way it is supposed to be at this moment. Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake.

Until I could accept my alcoholism, I could not stay sober; unless I accept life completely on life's terms, I could not be happy.

I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.

(Alcoholics Anonymous 417)

Bang on.

Amazing the insight, before times of Laws protecting us from Laws meant to protect us.

I see that everything in Gods world, has and had a reason. I am but a Servant.

"OF" Happy Destiny, not to. May everyone enjoy the Views on His road.
D'oh
Forums Long Timer

Return to Service