Group funds

From that ten-cent phone call and a cup of coffee to AA's General Service Office. What's your take on service?

Group funds

Postby Slowtime » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:35 am

Hello all.

This is a tricky one.

There's a long term sober member of my home group, who has over the years taken money from the tradition 7 funds. He's no longer group treasurer, but made demands to me for money when I was treasurer, as he feels it's his, due to his seniority in the group. Some of this I can prove, some I can't. We've just had a treasurer finish up and leave town, he had a good program who made sure money was allocated as decided by the group conscience.

Now the old guy is gonna see an opportunity and step up for the job. I could step in, but really don't want the hassle. It's a constant battle with him and his sneaky efforts to undermine me. But no one is wise to him like I am.

So my choices are:

a) Step up, and make sure the money goes to correct places, also proving to any enquiring newcomer that we are indeed the honest group we say we are.

b)you've done your bit already, let someone else learn from the experience. Let go and let God.
Slowtime
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Group funds

Postby PaigeB » Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:44 am

has over the years taken money from the tradition 7

for himself? Maybe he wants to make amends - LOL. Either way, my sponsor usually says, "Not my circus, not my monkeys" I have to let go of service too and let others - like the Group Conscience - do their job. IF he takes the job again whether you let him have it or he wins an election, perhaps an SOP could be written up for the position that includes "no money out without a Group Conscience, except for purchase of cake & coffee." Or have written slips he has to sign to let the Group know where all the pennies went.
But no one is wise to him like I am.

You might be surprised. "Pray & see what happens" has worked out for me in the past!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby tomsteve » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Slowtime wrote:Hello all.

This is a tricky one.

There's a long term sober member of my home group, who has over the years taken money from the tradition 7 funds. He's no longer group treasurer, but made demands to me for money when I was treasurer, as he feels it's his, due to his seniority in the group. Some of this I can prove, some I can't. We've just had a treasurer finish up and leave town, he had a good program who made sure money was allocated as decided by the group conscience.

Now the old guy is gonna see an opportunity and step up for the job. I could step in, but really don't want the hassle. It's a constant battle with him and his sneaky efforts to undermine me. But no one is wise to him like I am.

So my choices are:

a) Step up, and make sure the money goes to correct places, also proving to any enquiring newcomer that we are indeed the honest group we say we are.

b)you've done your bit already, let someone else learn from the experience. Let go and let God.

i can read your care for the group here,slowtime.
the 10th step as simple as possible for me: check my motive. ive stepped away from a HG because of personalities. i have to accept people the way they are but dont have to accept unacceptable behavior nor allow it around me.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Blue Moon » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:55 pm

Slowtime wrote:He's no longer group treasurer, but made demands to me for money when I was treasurer, as he feels it's his

Did he say what the demands were for?

Strictly speaking, Tradition 7 money doesn't even belong to the group. It belongs to AA, which delegates to the group the decisions about what to do with it.

Choice c) let the group conscience decide.
Choice d) vote with your feet.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Return to Service