conferance approved literture

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.

conferance approved literture

Postby johnfumagalli » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:27 pm

during a meeting if a person reads non-conferance approved literture are they violating traditions?
during a meeting someone read from a book of hers and was told that she had violated traditions!!!!!
my very first meeting was in nov of 1986 and at that meeting they read from a little black book at every meeting on monday nights they read from that book --group #6--- I do not think they [them old men] would of ever done anything against any tradition
so what is the answer to this?
Please help and thank you in advance for helping.
johnfumagalli

Re: conferance approved literture

Postby PaigeB » Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:05 am

I would answer with applying our Tradition 4 - Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or AA as a whole.

Where I live we are pretty set on conference approved literature as the topic reading, but I guess I have heard poems read during a person sharing. Come to think of it, there is a woman's group that reads a woman's daily recovery type book, probably Halzelton, along with the Daily Reflections.

If it was the groups choice to read all non conference approved literature for the topic reading - I probably would not go back to that meeting.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Sally » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:35 am

this is an un-ending argument- i first heard it in the early 80's
from a couple who appeared to honestly believe we were harming AA
if we even had anything from hazelton in the same room-classic attitude back then-
treatment was evil. treatment was anti-AA- and anything published by HZ was spawned
by the devil because they made money.
i agree with Paige- and where i live i have seen Tradition 4 prevail- and AA has not
been harmed one bit- we have grown stronger- each group makes it's own decisions what it
reads and what it talks about. my HG reads both Daily Reflections and the 24 hr book-
i think this is an excellent example of the tool of having a sponsor- learning
why/how we do not all agree on everything- and an excellent lesson in tolerance.
Sally
Sally
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Layne » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:34 am

Any time that I share I am reading from the non conference approved book of my mind, is that violating traditions.

The same question about non conference approved literature came up in my f2f home group and someone pointed out that if only conference approved literature were allowed then we would have to remove the dictionary from the table that we sit around as occasionally people read from it when sharing.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby johnfumagalli » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:24 pm

thanks to those that responded to my post----I think I am going to like this forum----again thanks John
johnfumagalli

Postby gwally » Mon Mar 19, 2012 6:02 am

John, thanks for the subject.

Cant see that its breaking any tradition. This subject came up a few years ago in my home group, a member wanted to remove all non-conference approved literature. The reasoning behind it was if we allow any non-conference approve literature that opened the door to for it all. We read from the 24hr(NC) and Reflection had the Acceptance pamphlet(NC) and had maybe a few others.
Hey they wanted to remove the 24hr book, a few of us had been using it for over 20yrs.
I was sober 2mos shy of 13yrs when Reflection was first printed and did not purchase one for another 2yrs.
Thank our founders for Tradition 4(paige stated it) and yes it is a lesson in tolerance sally.
Have not heard of any harm thats come to a group that has a smattering of non-conf approved literature
and truly do not expect to.
Our group consience vote to acknowledge when reading from non-conf stuff that it is non-conf although
group approved.

thanks for the use of the forum folks
George
gwally
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Squawking Hawk » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:56 am

during a meeting if a person reads non-conferance approved literture are they violating traditions?
during a meeting someone read from a book of hers and was told that she had violated traditions!!!!!
my very first meeting was in nov of 1986 and at that meeting they read from a little black book at every meeting on monday nights they read from that book --group #6--- I do not think they [them old men] would of ever done anything against any tradition
so what is the answer to this?
Please help and thank you in advance for helping.

I want to say up front that I have been helped by non-conference approved literature including but not limited to various Hazelton reflection books and pamphlets. For the purpose of this posting, I am using conference approved literature to mean literature published by AAWS.

I would answer with applying our Tradition 4 - Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or AA as a whole.

For the purpose of this posting, I am using conference approved literature to mean literature published by AAWS. This is how many f2f meetings in my area use the term conference approved literature. So if it wasn't published by AAWS then they want it read at their meeting.

Where I live we are pretty set on conference approved literature as the topic reading, but I guess I have heard poems read during a person sharing. Come to think of it, there is a woman's group that reads a woman's daily recovery type book, probably Halzelton, along with the Daily Reflections.

Absolutely, as tradition 4 says, each group should be autonomous except in matter affecting other groups or AA as a whole. Can't speak for all the f2f groups in and near my town, but all or most that I've gone to only allow conference approved literature to be used as a reading. I have not found one yet that sells Hazleton reflection books. When I got sober, before AA's conference approved Daily Reflection Book was published, some meetings would sell the 24 Hour Book (a little black book). On the whole, that stopped after AAWS published the Daily Reflection Book. Likewise there used to be meetings that were based on a reading of the 24 Hour Book, no more.

I was at a meeting once (topic discussion) where the monthly chair used some non-conference approved literature in his lead and it was a basis for his topic. A few were upset. I spoke to him privately about it only to give him a heads up about the group's conscious on only reading from conference approved literature. I wanted to talk to him first, because some would not be nice.

Like I said, personally, it doesn't bother me. But I have found in my moving around that f2f meetings in different towns have different interpretations on whether or not they allow non-conference approved literature to be read at the meetings. In my town there are going to be those who say "it is against the traditions." Not an opinion I share, but I will abide by the group's conscious in the matter. And I can always (and have) voted with my feet and found other meetings.

So in my town, for those meetings that say that reading from non-conference approved literature goes against the traditions, I suppose that for them it does. And for me it does not, and I have been to other group in other towns that do allow someone to read from non-conference approved literature.

this is an un-ending argument- i first heard it in the early 80's from a couple who appeared to honestly believe we were harming AA if we even had anything from hazelton in the same room-classic attitude back then-treatment was evil. treatment was anti-AA- and anything published by HZ was spawned by the devil because they made money.

Yes, around my town there are many who equate Hazelton with evil. Not a stance that I agree with, but hey everyone is entitled to their opinion. I do find a way, mostly in one on one shares, to share how I've been helped by non-conference approved literature.

Squawking Hawk
Last edited by Squawking Hawk on Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ms. Hawk

I will never forget
Squawking Hawk
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:33 am

Barefoot Bob has a really helpful article on this topic called "What Conference Approved Literature Means." In it he quotes the following:

From GSO Box 4-5-9 (Volume 23, No 4)
"Any literature that pertains to the principles of AA or is approved by a GROUP CONSCIENCE - is perfectly acceptable to be read by any AA member or in an AA meeting."

He describes some of the "non-conference approved" literature that early AA's used, recommended and found useful.

He refers to the origin of the term "conference-approved" (fascinating bit of history) and then has this reference:

The statement Conference Approved in no way constitutes a list of any written documents of which an AA body approves or disapproves. (Please see the ad hoc committee Final Report of the 1993 General Service Conference)

He has another article, "Only AA Material??" which is to the point as well.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tommy-S » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:44 am

From our GSO AA website: Conference Approved

http://www.aa.org/en_pdfs/smf-29_en.pdf

There is also an older discussion here by Dean C on the topic:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=915&p=8085&hilit=+Conference+approved#p8085

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Return to The 12 Traditions of AA