Tradition Number Two (Study)

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.

Postby Joe H » Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:07 pm

Then and there they proved, as never before, that A.A.’s Tradition Two was correct. The group conscience could safely act as the sole authority and sure guide for Alcoholics Anonymous.

I recall a few years ago when the Fourth edition was being put together and watched in awe at the way the selection of the stories resolved itself. It literally went up to the individual group consciences'. I talked to a man at the Maryland State Conference who served on the committee of 100 (if I remember correctly it was 100) at the time the 4th had just gone to the printer. Of course the story asked about the most was "Doctor, Alcoholic, Addict" which was turned down for the 4th by the committee and most groups but a compromise was worked out and it was moved. At the time I thought that that story was headed to the archives. I was on the side of the majority wishing to remove the story and yet the minority opinion was not only heard but became the compromise.

It was very interesting to watch the process of the upside-down triangle work in God's care.
Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Postby jak » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:09 pm

The first meeting that I committed to was held in an Alano club where there were meetings every day. Some members only attended their favorite night or noon meeting. Some members did not committ to any one meeting but attended a various times thruough each week.
Some members committed to one meeting and also attended other meetings and so on.

Each meeting was autonomous and there were varied formats through the meetings. Wednesday night was a 12x12 study. Thursday night was As Bill Sees It discussion. Sunday speaker night etc. etc.

A steering committee was formed so that members representing each meeting could once a month touch base with members of each of the meetings and discuss issues and make reports and share announcements.
One bank account was shared and the rent was paid and books were purchased.

There were different moods and different interpretations of the program at each meeting and that was reflected at the steering committee gatherings. Sometimes there were disagreements. Sometimes there was frustration, fear, anger... alcoholism.

The members that I met with had Group Conscience meetings about some of the concerns that came out of the steering committee meetings. We would also experience those frustrations and fears amongst ourselves as we sought a concensus. We learned to take turns and to listen to each other, often with great restraint, avoiding interuptions. We each would get our turn to voice our position.

A number of times, in the beginning of a discussion, quite a bit of dissagreement was apparent.

But as we then would respond to each other, we found new points of view filtering in to our own individual thinking. And as we ignored the clock we experienced that our considerations on the topic were morphing into an agreed consensus. Not compromise. Not "Oh, OK then." We were molded into a united, informed, group conscience.

We were amazed each time we experienced this. We knew that there was a loving God involved in that experience. Tradition Two became more than just a 'game plan'. It was a promise. A stablizing factor. A Great Reality.

The Steering Committee was less courteous however. We had learned however to avoid retaliation and arguments. We listened even if we got interrupted. God had become big enough. If bad decisions were made we saw that we might learn from them.

jim k
jak
Forums Long Timer

Postby jak » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:07 pm

TWELVE TRADITIONS CHECKLIST
Copyright © The AA Grapevine, Inc.

Tradition Two:
1. Do I criticize or do I trust and support my group officers, AA committees, and office workers? Newcomers? Old-timers?
2. Am I absolutely trustworthy, even in secret, with AA Twelfth Step jobs or other AA responsibility?
3. Do I look for credit in my AA jobs? Praise for my AA ideas?
4. Do I have to save face in group discussion, or can I yield in good spirit to the group conscience and work cheerfully along with it?
5. Although I have been sober a few years, am I still willing to serve my turn at AA chores?
6. In group discussions, do I sound off about matters on which I have no experience and little knowledge?
jak
Forums Long Timer

Postby Canbe » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:23 pm

TRADITION TWO?

A belief is not a belief if it has no action, it’s just a thought!

Saying one has come to believe, and the actions of one who believes, are two different paths all together.
Only through ones personal =(anonymity) actions toward others is the strength of step two through Tradition Two.
Love thy neighbor as they self is the action in the belief of God,
A.A calls it UNITY
The principles (the actions) of step two was were written in Tradition Two. Weather one believes step two or not it is what A.A. is about.
The action of step two.
Tradition Two tells me who God is, where He is, and what He does. It says, "For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority...a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience." God expresses Himself in a specific location--my conscience. This is good news to me. I have wondered where and who God was and what He did. Now I understand what was meant, long ago, by the command, "Be still and know that I am God."
In the last half of Tradition Two and I find the second gentle whisper toward humility: "Our leaders (That is you and I) are but trusted servants; they do not govern." I love the clarity and force of that simple word "but." As a leader I am but a trusted servant; I need not govern. (got that sponsors)Thank God! I myself have been a dubiously trusted leader who felt that he must govern for too long; now I may be relieved of all of that. As God may express Himself in my conscience, I am His and your trusted servant, who governs only me! That’s why I use A.A. as a whole instead of just another personality of a sponsor or another persons reality . The steps sponsor people- people don’t sponsor the steps and people who are not supported by step two are missing something.
Open minded enough to learn from everyone.
Canbe
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Joe H » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:35 am

Is OK your sponsor, you are carrying his message. :wink: :?:

OK
Forums Enthusiast

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:23 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A belief is not a belief if it has no action, it’s just a thought!

Saying one has come to believe, and the actions of one who believes, are two different paths all together.
Only through ones personal =(anonymity) actions toward others is the strength of step two.
Love thy neighbor as they self is the action in the belief of God,
A.A calls it UNITY
The principles (the actions) of step two was were written in Tradition Two. Weather one believes or not.
The action of step two.
Tradition Two tells me who God is, where He is, and what He does. It says, "For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority...a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience." God expresses Himself in a specific location--my conscience. This is good news to me. I have wondered where and who God was and what He did. Now I understand what was meant, long ago, by the command, "Be still and know that I am God."
In the last half of Tradition Two and I find the second gentle whisper toward humility: "Our leaders (That is you and I) are but trusted servants; they do not govern." I love the clarity and force of that simple word "but." As a leader I am but a trusted servant; I need not govern. (got that sponsors)Thank God! I myself have been a dubiously trusted leader who felt that he must govern for too long; now I may be relieved of all of that. As God may express Himself in my conscience, I am His and your trusted servant, who governs only me! That’s why I use A.A. as a whole instead of just the personality of a sponsor. The steps sponsor people- people don’t sponsor the steps and people who are not supported by step two are in for a treatment not A.A. recovery.
Open minded enough to learn from everyone.
Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Postby Canbe » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:02 pm

Joe H
A.A. is - and the message is in the 164 pages of the Big Book
What message are you talking about? that is without having to go ask someone.
Canbe
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Joe H » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:21 pm

Have you read Chapter 7?
Joe H
Forums Long Timer

Postby LetgoJoe » Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:25 am

I went and read chapter seven and posted my reply here at this thread.
http://www.e-aa.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=32415#32415
Honesty gets us sober, tolerance keeps us sober. ~Bill W.
LetgoJoe
Forums Long Timer

Re: Tradition Number Two (Study)

Postby Allamerican » Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:59 am

I Thank God A.A. and A.A. for the clearer understanding of God -
Understanding and applying Tradition Two physically and mentally is the true applications of step Two - the A.A. promises says we will intuitively handle situations that use to baffle us - I found that the truth is simply "THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE" in the present moment and that has to come from within and that is when one is known for having principles instead of having to defend.
Been a long time ago people discussed the principles here
Allamerican
Forums Enthusiast

Re: Tradition Number Two (Study)

Postby Jpk12512 » Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:34 pm

What this tradition means to me is there is no dictator, we are a team and God is our coach and that we need to check selfwill at the door and do God's will
Jpk12512
Forums Newcomer

Previous

Return to The 12 Traditions of AA