What more can our group do to carry the message?

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.

What more can our group do to carry the message?

Postby mikeg » Thu May 10, 2018 3:29 am

This topic comes from the list of questions for the "Group Inventory"? We have a local/regional helpline, public information events, etc. However, the last few years there are far less people calling and reaching out for help. Our region is away from big city centers, but it's not underpopulated. These days being called upon to team up with another AA friend to do a 12th Step call is rare. It was not like this 10 years ago. The internet of course has had an effect, but there aren't very many calls for help coming through our online presence. The number of newcomers in our group and nearby groups has declined accordingly.
So, I'm hoping to get some ideas for outreach to enable us to do more to carry the message to the still suffering alcoholic. (The authorities do not allow prison meetings where we are.)
Thanks
mikeg
Forums Newcomer

Re: What more can our group do to carry the message?

Postby positrac » Thu May 10, 2018 3:53 am

My question is has anyone in your group gone to the nearest city and visited the AA office to get ideas on how they might incorporate and answer these kinds of concerns? I believe if nothing else if you have a hotlines like online and phone then maybe that is all that can be accomplished. AA has many slogans regarding help and service and we can't make anyone want to get sober and so they have to be willing and if that happens the seed is planted.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Thu May 10, 2018 4:14 am

Yeah some prison officials are sometimes very rigid. The Hall County Jail took 2 years to let us in. However the correction facility belongs to the state they were kind to us and let us in, we have been doing it last 5 years.

I would suggest, keep talking to the prison officials, engage them. There are some great videos on AA.org on how it has benefited the inmates. Greatest difficulty is getting steady volunteers commitment.

Also I will look for salvation army and other homeless shelters. Treatment centers and Detox facilities are also opportunities. Where I live, AAers go to Drug and Alcohol conferences and set up booths. Churches sometimes allow us to give a general talk.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Thu May 10, 2018 11:07 am

Literature. After you have a rack in the doctor's office and local library you can branch out to the larger areas and give a hand there. We made stickers that we put on each pamphlet saying where it came from, so a person in the big city can see that Small Town has a Meeting too!

Might I suggest an annual event? A big picnic maybe or a retreat? City folk like to get away sometimes and just need an excuse! Make and take or mail flyers to the City clubs and Intergroup. Even if you don't have an event, you can do a flyer that says Small Town meeting is alive and well at 8pm Friday's - Cake or potluck on the first Friday of every month.

AND let YOUR feet do the talking! Get a car full to go to the AA meetings in the city and announce your home group is a great group and when it takes place.

Be sure your Area website lists your meeting and maybe even get a website of your own!

Good luck and happy trudging!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Return to The 12 Traditions of AA