Service positions in AA on resume?

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.

Service positions in AA on resume?

Postby Scott119 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:51 pm

Hello everyone.
I'm new to the forum but I've been sober and a member of AA for almost 5 years now.

I'm currently looking for a new job so I am putting together my resume.

Through my time in AA I have been the treasurer for multiple AA groups for a collaborative of 2 years.

Now obviously I would not want to be in violation of any traditions or even imply necessarily that I'm a person in recovery.
The best idea I can come up with is just to say that for 2 years I was the treasurer for a 12-step recovery group.

I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with this or insight as to how I could delicately word it.
If it so happens that there's no way to do it without being in violation of a tradition that's completely fine by me.
I'm not in AA to build my resume haha.

Scott119
Forums Newcomer

Re: Service positions in AA on resume?

Postby Brock » Fri Dec 08, 2017 4:47 pm

Welcome here Scott.

I can’t see this really violating any tradition, we are allowed to speak or write about being in AA once we are not doing so in the press or some other publication, even then if we don’t use a photograph it’s still above board.

The thing to me; and I have the greatest respect for members who do the sort of service you have done; is unless I was applying for a job in a recovery setting, rehab or whatever, I see no advantage in including it. Possibly it would show you are a team player and know about basic accounting, but on the other hand you are exposing yourself as someone who had an addiction, not every employer welcomes folks like us with open arms. You and I and others here, would know that after nearly five years in recovery, we would be a great choice in any job we are otherwise qualified to hold, but I believe many employers don't know that.

It’s an interesting question, thanks for asking it, the forums here have been unusually slow the last few days, so it came at a good time, I hope others will offer an opinion, hope to see you around here in the future as well.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Re: Service positions in AA on resume?

Postby Blue Moon » Fri Dec 08, 2017 10:36 pm

I would not put anything 12-Step-related on a job application or resume, except if explicitly required (for security background check, etc.)

Has nothing to do with anonymity. There's still a lot of stigma out there about alcoholics, addicts etc., eg from folks who grew up with one and are long-overdue for a dose of alanon. So do you want to land a job, or to put your 12-Step activities on show?

You could simply say you were treasurer for a charitable organisation. If asked at interview, you could say we're involved in the alcoholic field. I have sometimes had a whole discussion with someone about recovery activity without mentioning AA at all.

If someone outright asks "AA", "Friends of Bill W", etc., then you'd be more direct.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Return to The 12 Traditions of AA