Alano Clubs - Breaking Tradition?

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.

Re: Alano Clubs - Breaking Tradition?

Postby Layne » Tue May 02, 2017 5:42 pm

I am still not quite clear whether the perceived hostility was in my question or the replies from other folks, but either way, thans for answering my question.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Tue May 02, 2017 5:44 pm

I think there is a lot of hostility and very little of the AA program principles being practiced. :wink:

So when are you going to drop your hostility, change your attitude, and start practicing AA's program principles?

:wink: :wink:

BTW How many other forums have banned you and what is the "something" you learned as a result of being banned?
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby Karl R » Tue May 02, 2017 5:48 pm

Seriously all?

I'm locking this thread for a 24 hour chill time.

Regards,
Karl..E-aa forums coordinator
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby Karl R » Wed May 03, 2017 8:12 pm

Unlocked after 24 hours.

karl-e-aa forums coordinator
Karl R
Forums Old Timer

Postby positrac » Thu May 04, 2017 2:34 am

If you have a axe to grind then go to the district AA office and voice it and see what can be done to address your concerns. Honestly none of us can help and besides opinions and or history what is left to be said?

I've mentioned this before and it was already said with reference with bottom up leadership: More than one drunk can have a meeting anyplace they so desire and if you don't like the Alano Club then start your own meeting and be responsible for the alcoholic who still suffers.

For me nothing to debate and or get in a twist about because it has pretty much been said.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Doddering Moron » Sun May 07, 2017 7:07 pm

Yours is a common error like interpreting the 7th step "shortcomings" as different from the 6th step "defects of character" because they are different terms that could not mean the same thing when the 7th step prayer uses the term "defects of character", and opining that the 4th step "moral" inventory is different from the 10th step "personal" inventory when the big book uses the term "personal" inventory when talking about the 4th step, hence "continued to take personal inventory."

There are no promises. You will have a new intuition to deal with language situations that baffle you. It's NOT à promise.
Moral inventory means -take umbrage -NOT à drunkalogue.
Doddering Moron
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Db1105 » Fri May 19, 2017 2:20 pm

SoberInMI wrote:I have an issue: "Alano" Clubs. I have no issue with sober clubs per se.

Lets start with the fact that Alano is short for Alcoholics Anonymous and thus violates the 6th tradition: "An A.A. group ought never endorse, finance,
or lend the A.A. name to any related facility or outside enterprise, lest problems of money, property, and prestige divert us from our primary
purpose." Contradicting this tradition, Bill W was involved with, and thus endorsed, the 1st Alano Club which was in NYC. The fact that AA has not protected its name is tacit endorsement of this violative use of the AA name. Curiously and contradictorily, AA won't accept donations from Alano or sober clubs.

Given the foregoing, Alano Clubs violate AA's "singleness of purpose" which is embodied in the 12 Traditions by hosting other twelve step meetings. And there is the issue that Alano Clubs don't follow AA principles.

I believe the solution is for "Alano" Clubs to be forced to rename themselves. What are your thoughts?

I don't know if this website allows links, so I offer the following title to be Googled: "A.A.® Guidelines: Relationship Between A.A. and Clubs." This still doesn't address the complications caused by the use of the AA name.

I see no conflict with the traditions. Alano is not Alcoholics Anonymous. Period. So what if its short for "Alcoholics Anonymous" Its actually kind of clever name for a sober clubhouse. Heck, there are no Alano clubs in my area and it took me awhile with over a year in the Fellowship before the name dawned on me. I doubt most of the rest of the world not in recovery would link the two. Since it is not AA, there is no issue renting its rooms to other fellowships.
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Postby tomsteve » Sun May 21, 2017 6:20 am

we could get really technical at look up the origin of alano. :)
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Patsy© » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:32 am

http://www.aa.org/assets/en_US/mg-03_clubs.pdf

This AA pamphlet will hopefully answer any questions.

Alano clubs are completely separate from Alcoholics Anonymous, they are NOT part of Alcoholics Anonymous. Alano Clubs are the landlord, and the AA group pays rent to them to hold their AA Group meetings there. That's it, other than that, they are a separate entity.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby Patsy© » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:48 pm

tomsteve wrote:we could get really technical at look up the origin of alano. :)

ALcohol ANonomous Organization = ALANO.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Previous

Return to The 12 Traditions of AA