7TH Tradition

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.

7TH Tradition

Postby Jcb5544 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 6:32 am

I am a new member of the forum,and have a question for the treasurers of groups,and foundations. I am the treasure of my home group,and the Foundation where it meets. So each week/month I count and balance the books for both. I understand that the $1.00 in 1952 is now worth about .11 cents, but it seems our members do not. I am regularly counting $20-$40 dollars in change each month, one group seems to always fill the envelope with all the change collected. Has anyone else dealt with this, and what,if anything did you do????? I am not trying to whine, as I know it is service work, but has anyone found a way to get only paper currency put in the baskets?
Jcb5544
Forums Newcomer

Re: 7TH Tradition

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:16 am

I know people who dont even contribute a dime. But also seen people drop a check for 20$. So really can't tell whether they have a weekly contribution amount or if they really having a free ride. Also heard the $ amount people contribute for coffee vanishes if the treasurer is not watching it. Some people make it a habit of only contributing coins. When I chair, I just put the coins as part of the contribution for that day and drop it off in the safe. Its still money. I am glad atleast they are contributing something.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby PaigeB » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:27 pm

We have a couple of groups who have added language to their 7th Tradition announcement when passing the basket. They added, "We are trying to 'break the buck' habit, so give more if you can." or something to that effect. But no one has mentioned not having coins in the basket.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Tosh » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:27 pm

I'm treasurer of my homegroup, for my sins. It is a bit tiresome counting out the 'shrapnel' each week, but I think some folk just empty all the loose change in their pockets into the 'hat'.

Yipee, another opportunity to practise some patience and tolerance. :shock:
Come, come, whoever you are. Wanderer, worshiper, lover of leaving. It doesn't matter. Ours is not a caravan of despair. Come, even if you have broken your vows a thousand times. Come, yet again, come, come.” Rumi (No sniggering from the sex addicts)
Tosh
Forums Old Timer

Postby Whitejoin » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:32 am

Tosh wrote:I'm treasurer of my homegroup, for my sins. It is a bit tiresome counting out the 'shrapnel' each week, but I think some folk just empty all the loose change in their pockets into the 'hat'.

Yipee, another opportunity to practise some patience and tolerance. :shock:

the task of a treasurer is indeed exhausting. i used to be a treasurer before but i end up quitting because i am not that good in counting and counting numbers. it gave me really a bad headache :) lucky you are good in it:)
Whitejoin
Forums Newcomer

Postby Db1105 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:43 am

When I was treasurer for my small homegroup, I just replaced the change with paper bills and threw the change into the family 5 gallon change bottle.
Db1105
Forums Contributor

Return to The 12 Traditions of AA