Tradition 6 - Website advertising

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.

Tradition 6 - Website advertising

Postby Judy R » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:44 pm

I know we can't advertise but if we are using free Google Sites to build there is a footer at bottom of site that states "Powered by Google Sites" is that OK? Also can we link to Google Maps? I'm not trying to advertise Google, impossible to remove this from footer and map link. For many of us with smaller intergroups it's a free way to have a site, email addresses and post links.

Thanks for you input. This is something that will come up at our business meeting.

In Unity,

Judy R
In Unity,

Judy R
Forums Newcomer

Re: Tradition 6 - Website advertising

Postby ann2 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:38 pm

Never thought of that. Our forums says "powered by phpBB". It is advertising but since the software is free, it's actually more like we're paying our way, IMO.

It's fun to use google maps to show where everyone is. Again, a free service that we pay for with exposure.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:21 pm

Since it is free to all it is not like they are giving us charity space. Google and all it's perks are put there for exactly the reason you are using them - IMO
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby sober8688 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:31 pm

I don`t see anything wrong with it.There is not too much you can do about it.
If we advertise an AA group,I believe that would not work too well.If we advertise other thing on the website,I believe that would be wrong for us.I have seen inter group websites with barnes and noble and amazon links on them.I disagree with that
sober8688
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Judy R » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:51 pm

Great, I was pretty much on the same page as everyone that replied. I don't consider it advertising and I think it's appropriate to map to our office. Why make a member hunt down the location when we can just add a link. It's not like we have a big banner across the top saying CLICK HERE that takes you to a private domain. Thanks everyone!
In Unity,

Judy R
Forums Newcomer

Postby ann2 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:04 am

It was a great question, for this online group and all online members to think about! Thanks :D

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby ODAAT » Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:43 am

Reasonable advertising of AA, in general, or AA groups and events, in particular, is fine. Not prohibited. The marketing of AA is permissible, subject to some constraints.

Affliliating with google, or phpBB might be a dicey issue. We should make it clear in the public mind that AA or an AA group is only using the google/phpBB instrumentalities as modern tools to communicate to our audiences -- same as we used to use Parker pens and Smith Corona typewriters decades ago.

For unaffiliated groups online, discussing recovery or, say, AA, there is no conflict with AA rules whatsoever, though AA has specific guidance for individuals on their anonymity under certain conditions.

Is e-AA an AA group? Is e-AA affiliated with Alcoholics Anonymous?
ODAAT
Forums Enthusiast

Return to The 12 Traditions of AA