Bingo?

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.

Bingo?

Postby Brock » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:07 am

I have found it useful in the past, to ask members here, their opinion on whether our district intergroup may be breaking any AA tradition in its activities. When these questions are asked via the GSO link, it not only takes weeks for someone to reply, but the answer is usually quite vague and non decisive. Being from a small island, we have adopted the view, that if intergroups in the US or other large countries do certain things, then we can’t be to far off track doing them ourselves.

We propose to hold functions which would include Bingo, with players being charged a nominal fee for each card, it is not a profit making venture but a break even one at best. I know this is done by AA clubs and such, but have no knowledge of intergroups doing it, presently we have an annual card playing event where winners receive prizes the intergroup supplies, but no entrance fee is charged, charging for the Bingo cards would suggest gambling, and that concerns us a little.

Please let me know if you have witnessed this being done by groups, intergroups, or district offices in your area, thanks in advance for any input the members can offer.

Brock.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Re: Bingo?

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:23 am

This sort of thing is generally frowned upon in my Area.

Some groups do funky things like this, but should make sure the proceeds do not constitute any Tradition 7 funding of the group (e.g. to pay rent or send out to other AA entities).

Clubs are separately incorporated, our Area do not accept donations from Clubs even if they claim to be AA. We ask that the AA groups who meet there send their own donations.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Re: Bingo?

Postby harry71 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 1:52 pm

Dicey question. I have been involved in AA clubs for most of my sober life(42 years),got sober in a club. As Blue Moon said they are separately incorporated . In the U.S. so are most of the intergroups. These intergroups have fund raisers. Individual groups are not. Having a game night is fine as long as it is not part of the AA group. A social group made up of AA members can do any thing it wants. The proceeds can not be given to the group,need to be kept in a separate account. Hope this helps.
God Keeps Me Sober AA Keeps Me Asking
harry71
Forums Enthusiast

Return to The 12 Traditions of AA