2nd tradition

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.

2nd tradition

Postby harry71 » Wed May 28, 2014 6:04 am

Ok thumpers, why is the short form of the 2nd tradition longer than the long form?
God Keeps Me Sober AA Keeps Me Asking
harry71
Forums Enthusiast

Re: 2nd tradition

Postby Brock » Wed May 28, 2014 8:37 am

The “long form” is the same, except that it does not contain the last sentence, i.e. “Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.” I agree that it may seem strange, but to my mind the entire tradition in the 12 & 12 speaks about various people, who by ignoring this last sentence, screwed up their groups. So I prefer to think of the short form as really an introduction to what the next few pages will speak about. There is a conversation going on right now in the thread about wanting online friends, where Patty speaks about one clown in her home group, who is causing havoc. Just shows the importance of these traditions.

Brock.
"Good morning, this is your Higher Power speaking. I will not be needing your help today."
Brock
Forums Coordinator

Re: 2nd tradition

Postby PaigeB » Wed May 28, 2014 9:07 am

Good answer.

Nothing to add accept I have a story... Early on, I went to a meeting where a guy was always the chair. Really small group of regulars and no one seemed to mind, but they always teased him about Tradition 2... the do not govern part. I did not notice any difference in the way the meeting ran. There were always a lot of laughs before and after the meeting and the meeting had the same format as many others in our city.

I offered to chair for a month, mostly because I thought they were taking advantage of him. Turns out that it saved my life. One night, there was a vicious Iowa snow storm and I didn't feel much like going and the weather and the list of things... but I had the thought that especially because of the weather I needed to go lest no one be there to open the doors. Turns out there were more people there than usual!

However, during that month he missed a couple of these meetings. Working on his house or whatever. He said he came close to drinking a couple times. He came back to chair the meeting and I never offered again.

I guess I didn't need to chair again. I guess he did.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Return to The 12 Traditions of AA