6th tradition and member/group events?

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.

6th tradition and member/group events?

Postby oakling » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:02 pm

My understanding is that AA lists GSO events (regional forums, etc.) on the AA website, but not local events (ACYPAA, a local meeting's step weekend, etc) because those are not AA events; they're events put on by AA members or groups. Sixth tradition, et cetera. But the Grapevine does have a calendar of local events like these.

Have they always listed local events? And why????

My best guess was that it has something to do with the Grapevine being a separate entity from the GSO. Or that because it's a "meeting in print," it has room for "AA-related announcements". (I did read the super-helpful thread here, from about 2005, on what is meant by AA-related announcements, and a couple other threads I found.) But I'm just whistling Dixie here.

I'm specifically trying to find out because another fellowship I'm active in has been listing local retreats on our website. These are similar to conventions but smaller - i.e., all the ones I know of have workshops on different parts of the program, none are denominational retreats. And we're now questioning whether we should be doing that, and whether we should continue to list them in our newsletter. Seems pretty clear to me that they shouldn't be on the website, but now the Grapevine is making me question the newsletter part!

Anybody know?
oakling
Forums Newcomer

Re: 6th tradition and member/group events?

Postby PaigeB » Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:19 pm

Each group is autonomous - also applies to service committees and entities such as websites.

Our District website is overseen by the PI Committee and the committee decides, ie:
No - to the fundraiser for one of the 3 Clubs in town
Yes - to Bill & Nancy's annual Picnic
No - to the new Alanon Meeting (we have a link to their webpage)
Yes - to the new Alateen Meeting (since they have no website)

I don't know if this has been helpful. :wink:

Enjoy the day.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: 6th tradition and member/group events?

Postby oakling » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:39 pm

It's helpful in that I can see how the Grapevine makes their own decisions about this stuff!

But I'm looking for ideas about the principles behind it. Particularly because I'm involved with another fellowship that's trying to decide right now whether to continue posting news of different group/intergroup events on the main website.

Bill W.'s remark, in the 12th Concept, about how if groups want to do "Communion breakfasts, retreats," etc. they are welcome to, "only we hope you won't associate the AA name with them" (I'm paraphrasing) is what raised the question for me.

It seems to me that if we list intergroup events on the main website, we're implying that they're "official" events. If we list them with a disclaimer, e.g. "these events are only sponsored by the groups that organize them and have nothing to do with the fellowship as a whole," it seems like we're trying to have our cake and eat it too.

These events are a lot like mini-conferences, not the religious retreats that I think Bill W. may have been referring to, if that helps. (If anything, I think that just confuses our members! Since the events aren't necessarily bringing in outside issues, people think, "It's a way to carry the message! We should support it!")

Anybody have any thoughts? :)
oakling
Forums Newcomer

Return to The 12 Traditions of AA