What does "It's" refer to in Tradition 5?

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.

What does "It's" refer to in Tradition 5?

Postby stilljohnny » Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:12 am

Okay all of you Big Book and 12x12 thumpers, lets go!!
stilljohnny
Forums Newcomer

Re: What does "It's" refer to in Tradition 5?

Postby PaigeB » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:19 am

LMAO - I asked that question once - I asked a gal who is a sister sponsee, right before I was to take the podium... she slammed her fist down and told me what she thought, which is not supported by the literature. I wish I was not running "late" for a road trip with my hubby, I would look it up and provide page numbers for you!!

It's message is Hope.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Marc L » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:10 am

stilljohnny wrote:Okay all of you Big Book and 12x12 thumpers, lets go!!

Where To:?
It's Monty Python's Flying Circus. :lol:
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.
Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:09 am

Tradition Five. “Each group has but one primary purpose— to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers.” (“SHOEMAKER, stick to thy last!”)

Think "its" refers to trad 4.

“Each group should be autonomous except in matters affecting other groups or A.A. as a whole."

E-AA has a specific message, and that's why I'm here. That message saved my family and I want to pass it on. The message is that the steps are the solution to the drinking problem, and that service is a form of gratitude. It is also a message of working through the group, and helping to form the group conscience, and putting one's own desires second to the intent of the group.

Crazy stuff, worked for me.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby rosco » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:40 am

Bill explains it or part of it here. [link deleted; please contact user for information]. that says it all. addicts who are not alcoholic can not be in a closed AA meetings. they should be asked to leave before the meeting resumes. we have NA pamphlets at all the groups around here.

i believe the "message" is the program described in what Bill called the language of the heart (ernie franks says it consists of 200 words). what one would hear at an AA meeting would not be "what is going on in my life today," but things like resentments, fears, sex and ammends, prayer, meditation, HP and primary purpose.

all humans are addicts. or, better said, addictive substances are addictive to all humans, not a group of humans. crack cocaine is labeled as addictive to all persons, not just addicts. alcoholics and non alcoholics can become addicted to crack cocaine. non-alcoholics can become addicted to alcohol but they will never have the phenomena of craving (our type). upon adequate impeti, the non-alcoholic can put the plug in the jug and have a better life. alcoholics of our type start to have problems when the plug goes in the jug. alcohol is not our problem.. the addicts problem is the addictive substance, including alcohol.

drug addicts do not make up a unique group or set of people different from others. however, overeaters, gamblers, alcoholics are unique. all people can be drug addicts while not all can be compulsive gamlbers, "alcoholics of OUR TYPE" or overeaters. 12 step groups have been created by people who feel they have a common unique problem. GA, OA and AA.

if we loose the primary purpose by not doing what Bill says here, AA will not make it. we must maintain our primary purpose by helping only alcoholics and having meetings that use the language of the heart. allowing non alcoholic addicts and open discussion meetings are real threats to AA's survival. i know i'm not alone on this
rosco
Forums Enthusiast

Postby harry71 » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:16 am

It seems to me that It's message is what we read in the preamble. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.
God Keeps Me Sober AA Keeps Me Asking
harry71
Forums Enthusiast

Postby rosco » Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:12 am

a link removed in my last post can be found on youtube by searching for "singleness of purpose" and "AA"

"it"s = the AA, the AA group, the AA district, the AA conference, etc. my primary purpose in life. the group's primary purpose. this idea should pervade throughout everything in AA. the book, the coffee, the podium, etc. if this is maintained, other purposes can't come in and divert it's message. it being anything in an aa gathering that might help the newcomer. i think it also helps lessen attachment to seating spots, people who claim the right to run every meeting, etc.

right? i'm relatively new to AA.
rosco
Forums Enthusiast

Postby larrylive » Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:12 am

harry71 wrote:It seems to me that It's message is what we read in the preamble. Our primary purpose is to stay sober and help other alcoholics to achieve sobriety.

I would agree that this the message of AA, what we (the group) have to ask ourselves is it our message. My home group is embarking on a group inventory to determine this very thing. More will be revealed....

Be Well,
Larry
All the gods send their drunks to AA
larrylive
Forums Enthusiast

Postby notmyrealname » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:35 pm

Larrylive,

Your signature line throws some light here.
If you're going through hell, keep going. -Winston Churchill
notmyrealname
Forums Newcomer

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:11 pm

Isn't the tradition self-explanatory?

Read what it says. I note that it doesn't say "AA's message", even if I think it should.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby Tommy-S » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:34 pm

Simple

"Its" is a possessive pronominal adjective... It is referring to the Alcoholics Anonymous Group so Bill didn't have to write "group" twice in the same sentence

Did I win? :)

Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby ann2 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:32 am

Bingo.
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Patsy© » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:48 pm

"Its" in Tradition 5, refers to Alcoholics Anonymous Step 12...The Message WE carry.....

Tradition Five "Each group has but one primary purpose - to carry its message to the alcoholic who still suffers."....

Step 12 - Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
Last edited by Patsy© on Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Postby PaigeB » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:54 pm

Hi Patsy! :D
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby Patsy© » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:56 pm

Hi Paige, its soooooo nice to see you :)
Failed 12 Step Call? Not if we walk away sober!
Patsy©
Forums Contributor

Next

Return to The 12 Traditions of AA