Seventh Tradition

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.

Seventh Tradition

Postby nnips » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:55 pm

Hi my friends,

I would like to gain further insight into the seventh tradition that indicate each group should be self-supporting. Should DCM make contributions back to the groups?
nnips
Forums Newcomer

Re: Seventh Tradition

Postby PaigeB » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:34 pm

Interesting idea, in my Area the money trickles down to GSO, i.e.; Groups> District> Area> GSO - maybe regional thrown in there.

I don't see why it would trickle back to the groups. In our effort, as a Group, to carry the message left over moneys head to the main center to be used on the most necessary work. I am on the District PI Committee and I get a monthly budget to use for flyers and workshops. If I do not spend it, it goes back to the District.

On the other hand, when the Area holds a conference in my District. They pays us back for costs. No profits are made. I do think that we keep no more than a prudent reserve in all points of the AA purse.

This is only opinions. I did not consult the 12 Traditions or the 12 Concepts at any point. I hope that another drunk will come along with more information for you!
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Re: Seventh Tradition

Postby Tommy-S » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:48 am

There have been instances in this area when District has provided support for treatment or correctional facilities groups as inmates and patients are generally not providing contributions. But this has always been a District Committee decision, and not the sole decision of a DCM

Ask your DCM about it...that's what they are there for. Questions directed to the right people are how drunks like me learn.

Thanks... Tommy
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Return to The 12 Traditions of AA