Asking about "outside" issues.

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.

Asking about "outside" issues.

Postby JtheK » Thu Nov 15, 2012 3:31 pm

Hi folks,

I'm new to the site so if this question has been asked before, please forgive me.

At a group I attend, when they open the meeting they ask if there are any "outside issue" or "outside" announcements. (I forget the exact wording.) A few moments later they ask for any A.A. related announcements. I have been told they ask for "outside" announcements so that folks can feel free to announce such things as deaths of members, those that might need prayers, folks that might be in the hospital and other not strictly A.A. related stuff. Myself, I have no problem with this, however a few folks have expressed their unhappiness. There will be a group consciousness meeting on the subject soon.

What I would like to know is if any other groups have such an announcement and if it caused problems in the community? Also, opinions are welcome.

Cordially,

J the K
JtheK
Forums Newcomer

Re: Asking about "outside" issues.

Postby Marc L » Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:09 pm

JtheK wrote:Hi folks,

I'm new to the site so if this question has been asked before, please forgive me.
J the K

Just use the search box at the top right of the page before asking. :D

Marc
Recovery won't just happen by Osmosis. You gonna' have to work at it some.
12th Step work ain't just a job... It's an Adventure.
Marc L
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tommy-S » Thu Nov 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Hi J,

I have been to groups that do Not have announcements, groups that seem to do little but announce, and groups, like you stated, that have found it necessary to separate announcements in AA related & non-AA related**. (And others, if it is Not AA related, aren't interested at all)

The autonomy of Tradition 4 allows the group to run itself as it likes, hopefully adhering our Primary & Singleness of Purpose (Trad 3 & 5) while avoiding 'endorsement or affiliation' (Trad 8 ) and staying out of public controversy (Trad 10)...Simple, huh?

Attend the business (group conscience) meeting and get a look at how a Group Of Drunks (Trad 1 & 2) can gather to make the best decision for the Alcoholic still suffering.

Thanks... Tommy

**An Outside Issue is different from Non-AA Related Announcements
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby Mike O » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:02 pm

MarcLacroix wrote:
JtheK wrote:Hi folks,

J the K

Just use the search box at the top right of the page before asking. :D

Marc

Nah...just ask away.
Mike O
Forums Old Timer

Return to The 12 Traditions of AA