Tradition 12 & Checklist

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.

Tradition 12 & Checklist

Postby Tommy-S » Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:55 pm

Tradition Twelve, Long Form: And finally, we of Alcoholics Anonymous believe that the principle of anonymity has an immense spiritual significance. It reminds us that we are to place principles before personalities; that we are actually to practice a genuine humility. This to the end that our great blessings may never spoil us; that we shall forever live in thankful contemplation of Him who presides over us all.

“The spiritual substance of anonymity is sacrifice... Twelve Traditions repeatedly ask us to give up personal desires for the common good... these sacrifices that give(s) people their high confidence in our future.” (12 x 12, pg 185)

Born out of fear, our first groups
“were secret societies... we still thought we had to hide from public distrust and contempt.” (12 x 12, pg 185)
Even the Forward (1st Edition), still carries the tinge of that early fear, “It is important that we remain anonymous because we are too few, at the present... (BB, pg xiii, 3rd edition) This changed, however, as AA grew in public acceptance (the result of the many trials and errors that produced the preceding Traditions)

As AA grew, so did the ‘outside interest’ in our work, and Open meetings for interested friends and the public began. Requests for AA speakers to appear before civic organizations, church groups, and medical societies poured in.

But Success brought new problems as
“top public approval swept in, we realized it could do us incalculable good or great harm.... These experiences taught us that anonymity is real humility at work.’ (12 x 12, pg 187)
“If we forget this principle, the lid to Pandora’s box will be off and the spiritat of Money, Power, and Prestige will be loosed among us. Obsessed by these evil genii, we might well founder and break up.” (AA Comes of Age, pg 131-132)

AA survives, or I will not.

Today, guided by
“the spirit of anonymity, we try to give up our natural desires for personal distinction as AA members, both among fellow alcoholics and before the general public.”
“... Humility, expressed by anonymity, if the greatest safeguard Alcoholics Anonymous can ever have.” (12 x 12, pg 187)

Tradition 12 is the application of the reminder... “Of myself I am nothing, the Father doeth the works”, or in language I understand, my ambition is to be just a LUCKY water boy, not the quarterback or linebacker, in this great Team of AA.

I'm sober today only because of a Grace & Mercy found through AA.

Thanks

++++++++++++++++++++

Practice These Principles…**

Tradition Twelve: Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our Traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities.

1. Why is it good idea for me to place the common welfare of all AA members before individual welfare? What would happen to me if AA as a whole disappeared?

2. When I do not trust AA’s current servants, who do I wish had the authority to straighten them out?

3. In my opinions of and remarks about other AAs, am I implying membership requirements other than a desire to stay sober?

4. Do I ever try to get a certain AA group to conform to my standards, not its own?

5. Have I a personal responsibility in helping an AA group fulfill its primary purpose? What is my part?

6. Does my personal behavior reflect the Sixth Tradition—or belie it?

7. Do I do all I can do to support AA financially? When is the last time I anonymously gave away a Grapevine subscription?

8. Do I complain about certain AAs’ behavior—especially if they are paid to work for AA? Who made me so smart?

9. Do I fulfill all AA responsibilities in such a way as to please privately even my own conscience? Really?

10. Do my utterances always reflect the Tenth Tradition, or do I give AA critics real ammunition?

11. Should I keep my AA membership a secret, or reveal it in private conversation when that may help another alcoholic (and therefore me)? Is my brand of AA so attractive that other drunks want it?

12. What is the real importance of me among more than a million AAs?

+++++++++++++++

** These questions were originally published in the AA Grapevine in conjunction with a series on the Twelve Traditions that began in November 1969 and ran through September 1971. While they were originally intended primarily for individual use, many AA groups have since used them as a basis for wider discussion.

++++++++++++++++

http://www.aa.org/1212/
http://www.aa.org/en_pdfs/smf-131_en.pdf
12 & 12 and Traditions Check List reprinted with Permission AAWS
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Re: Tradition 12 & Checklist

Postby Tommy-S » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:12 pm

I would pose another question to the list above, and that would be one pertaining to this Principle of giving
"up our natural desires for personal distinction as AA members... among fellow alcoholics"

Over the years, I have watched the growth of AA Speakers. There's a lot of good coming out of this custom, with many people being helped to new and better understand of our Program and life in Sobriety.

But occasionally, these take on a life of their own, probably well-above the intent of the author, creating 'discipleships' or followings or what-have-you, wherein those either lacking experience or lacking an open mind, use these other alcoholics as 'experts' in arguing this or that point, (none of which really threatens our fellowship), but can add to the confusion of those struggling.

(Of course, we can do the same with any of our literature, too, forgetting "We know only a little...more will be disclosed." BB, pg 164)

The questions I would add to the above list, is "Do we elevate some other AA's experience (ideas) to the point of granting "Personal Distinction" as an AA? And can they be healthy for them to be hoisted upon a pedestal? "

Seems to me, we're all just 'one drink away from the next drunk'... (Or maybe I just wasn't invited to the 'two-drinks away' club? LOL)

There's No second class citizen in AA.

Thanks
Last edited by Tommy-S on Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Together, we don't have to cave in or wimp out to that Fatal First One, no matter what today!
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby avaneesh912 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:02 am

Seems to me, we're all just 'one drink away from the next drunk'... (Or maybe I just wasn't invited to the 'two-drinks away' club? LOL)

True. But I don't have the fear anymore. I strive to be spiritually fit. That will solve this alcohol issue.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Tommy-S » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:34 am

Thanks, Aveenish... Freedom from 'fear' is the pay off, and not just of the drink. It's also a freedom from the 'fear' I am 'not important enough' in AA. We all are just one piece in a great mosaic.

The more I learn and experience how AA works and get to see it function, the more 'backwards' it seems from that world around me. No celebrities or spokespersons, nothing to buy, no rules to enforce, no penalties to suffer... Do what we do and stick together, or take a chance on a rematch with John Barleycorn?... I know and continue to see what he's capable of.

Glad I got the chance for AA... It's been a life-changer for me, and those near & dear.
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby Tommy-S » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:22 pm

The latest (Fall 2012) Box 459 is titled, "When is Breaking Your Anonymity Not an Anonymity Break?" Good info :)

http://www.aa.org/lang/en/en_pdfs/en_box459_fall12.pdf
Tommy-S
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:30 pm

5. Have I a personal responsibility in helping an AA group fulfill its primary purpose? What is my part?

Suit up & show up. That is my first responsibility to my group. I don't know what they might need or what changes I might make by showing up. And then sharing - sharing to help other alkies anonymously as I do not know who relates to what is on my mind today. We shore each other up. Reminds me of a crazy blowing Iowa snow storm on a Saturday night. I thought I might be the only one to arrive by 8pm. Turns out about 10 of us thought the same thing and sure enough I was there to give a surrender chip to a new gal. THAT is what is all about, all ways, always.

But there is also suiting up & showing up early and shaking hands and staying late to put up the chairs. Someone please make the coffee! Please make sure the literature rack is nice looking and current and someone be sure there is a cake for that milestone celebration. These things, and many more, are what my sponsor likes to call "for free and for fun" - That's how we roll now!

7. Do I do all I can do to support AA financially? When is the last time I anonymously gave away a Grapevine subscription?

It cannot be said enough: $1 in the basket these days is like only .44 cents. I know it has been said before, but I spent a heck of a lot more than that drinking. $2 is not enough. AA is eking by, but why should it? I am paying all my bills these days & even though I am retired, I don't wake up drunk anymore so I would be working... I am a responsible citizen these days. I need to be even more responsible to the program that saved my life.

And I did go halvsies with another sponsee to get a Grapevine subscription for our sponsor! http://www.e-aa.org/grapevine.php

Give until it feels good! http://www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Return to The 12 Traditions of AA