AA District and Clubhouse Team Up For Event...Is That OK?

The 12 Traditions of Alcoholics Anonymous, the principles that hold our groups and society together.

AA District and Clubhouse Team Up For Event...Is That OK?

Postby ColdChokeDamp » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:19 am

So, an item came up at the last business meeting in my homegroup that I would like to get some feedback on. The district our group is in is not well supported, at all. We are the largest group and probably account for 85% of the contributions to District. In an effort to have more attendance and participation, the District and a clubhouse are joining forces to put on a social event, a picnic I think. I was opposed! But, I am well aware of my emotional attachment to the issue, so looking for an objective view. I was in service at this district for 10 years. The clubhouse in question was notorious for requiring groups to give the club 90% of the basket, leaving very little for groups to participate in the 7th tradition, so as a general rule (resentful, I know) I don't attend meetings at this club, unless asked. And if I do attend, I never give them my money, I'll just give extra to my Homegroup. So, the thought of an AA District and a Club Inc. joining for an event makes my skin crawl, especially when our group is basically funding it. I don't think our GSR knows of the difference between AA and clubs, but our group only learned of this event after it was organized...so what say you? Am I just being resentful, or do I have a legitimate gripe?
ColdChokeDamp
Forums Newcomer

Re: AA District and Clubhouse Team Up For Event...Is That OK

Postby positrac » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:36 am

Welcome, and interesting topic. I think you hold resentments over the heavy hand of the clubhouse on the contributions as if they are better than the rest of the community in recovery. I can easily see loyalty with your group as it has your best intentions of service and unity.

If it were me I'd consider not engaging in any conversation regarding this event as it leads to free rent in your head and un-necessary gossip and it serves no purpose except to enhance resentments. Pray about acceptance on the topic and just stay clear of it and see what the total outcome is after the event. Maybe peace could be found and if it is a success and you can find a soft spot in your heart.

I am far from a goody two shoe guy and so I had a resentment that was a festering sore and I had to turn it over and let God my HP take care of the rent free mess and it eventually disappeared from my radar. Maybe you are at a stage in your sobriety growth and you are being tested? Just a few thoughts and maybe you can use something and discard the rest.
Work hard, stay positive, and get up early. It's the best part of the day.
George Allen, Sr.
positrac
Trusted Servant

Postby ColdChokeDamp » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:03 am

positrac wrote:Welcome, and interesting topic. I think you hold resentments over the heavy hand of the clubhouse on the contributions as if they are better than the rest of the community in recovery. I can easily see loyalty with your group as it has your best intentions of service and unity.

If it were me I'd consider not engaging in any conversation regarding this event as it leads to free rent in your head and in-necessary gossip and it serves no purpose except to enhance resentments. Pray about acceptance on the topic and just stay clear of it and see what the total outcome is after the event. Maybe peace could be found and it is a success and you can find a soft spot in your heart.

I am far from a goody two shoe guy and so I had a resentment that was a festering sore and I had to turn it over and let God my HP take care of the rent free mess and it eventually disappeared from my radar. Maybe you are at a stage in your sobriety growth and you are being tested? Just a few thoughts and maybe you can use something and discard the rest.

Just what I needed to hear! Thanks. Why I deliberately engage in manufacturing chaos is beyond me. Now, let's see if I can follow your direction. =biggrin
ColdChokeDamp
Forums Newcomer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:52 am

Hello from a "talk too much" alkie! :lol: Seriously, I think people need to know what I think! It is especially difficult for me when I think they disagree with me or that there is an option they haven't thought of.

My solution? I literally put my hand over my mouth. Sometimes I have to pinch my lip under that hand too! So if you are ever sitting in a business meeting and see a woman's hand fly up to cover her mouth with a look of terror in her eyes - DO NOT FEED THE MONKEY and ask me if I have anything to say! :lol: :lol:

Laughing but serious - It works! I have found that people DO NOT need to hear what I think. Things work out fine. They work out better than if I get in there and stir the pot. I sometimes laugh under that hand these days! Success! :mrgreen:
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Forums Old Timer

Postby tomsteve » Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:20 pm

ColdChokeDamp wrote:
positrac wrote: Why I deliberately engage in manufacturing chaos is beyond me.

theres some really good stuff in th ebig book starting the bottom of pg 60 that might help ya.
tomsteve
Forums Contributor

Postby Blue Moon » Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:01 pm

ColdChokeDamp wrote:So, the thought of an AA District and a Club Inc. joining for an event makes my skin crawl, especially when our group is basically funding it.

Your group isn't funding the event.

Firstly, all money donated in AA is AA's money. The group is really just a temporary custodian of a piece of AA's money. Then, groups donate some money to District, and it becomes AA's money under District's stewardship. So if a picnic at a clubhouse is honestly how District feels is the best way for it to spend AA's money, that's up to the District.

IMO your real problem here is about District's poor compliance with the spirit of Tradition 7, whereby any AA group (or other AA service entity) should not rely too heavily on income from too few sources. This is unhealthy for District, as it means one group could hold the District to ransom and usurp the principle of Tradition 2.

This is exactly why GSO itself has strict limits on how much money any individual may contribute in a year. Nobody can bequeath their entire estate to AA. AA doesn't want that sort of problem. Your District should distance itself from this unhealthy dependency it has with your group, by actively seeking more donations from other groups.

Your group may need to consider lowering its contribution, to compel District to become more accountable to the groups as a whole (ie stop subsidising other groups).
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby ColdChokeDamp » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:51 pm

IMO your real problem here is about District's poor compliance with the spirit of Tradition 7, whereby any AA group (or other AA service entity) should not rely too heavily on income from too few sources. This is unhealthy for District, as it means one group could hold the District to ransom and usurp the principle of Tradition 2.

This is exactly why GSO itself has strict limits on how much money any individual may contribute in a year. Nobody can bequeath their entire estate to AA. AA doesn't want that sort of problem. Your District should distance itself from this unhealthy dependency it has with your group, by actively seeking more donations from other groups.

Great input, Thanks! It is a dilemma, during my time in service at District we basically had 3 large groups accounting for 95% of contributions out of approximately 30 GROUPS! ( Downtown district of a medium size city 600k). Two of the large groups left the District leaving one to carry. A few other contribute sporadically, but most treat the Seventh Tradition as a means to fund snacks and donuts for their group and District and the other entities are just evil "AA politics." That may be a little harsh. I truly believe complacency and a lack of service minded sponsorship is at the core.
ColdChokeDamp
Forums Newcomer

Postby Blue Moon » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:48 pm

ColdChokeDamp wrote:I truly believe complacency and a lack of service minded sponsorship is at the core.

No doubt. Your group is enabling this mindset. The others know that your group will pay the tab, so they need not bother. Perhaps if your group change Group Conscience to contribute, say, no more than 2x the average donations from all other groups, then either those others will change their tune, or District will have to cut things out and function within its means. GSO could always use the extra money, maybe your Area could also.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Return to The 12 Traditions of AA