The Seven Deadly Sins taken from the 12x12 and Defined

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

The Seven Deadly Sins taken from the 12x12 and Defined

Postby avaneesh912 » Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:56 pm

SEVEN DEADLY SINS

These considerations were taken from pages 48, 49, 66 & 67 of the Twelve and Twelve

The bold type presents definitions from Webster's Unabridged Dictionary.

PRIDE: An over high opinion of oneself; exaggerated self-esteem; conceit, arrogance, vanity, self-satisfaction.

* Have I been so proud that I’ve been scorned (disrespected) as a braggart (bragger)?
* Have I acted prideful, consciously or unconsciously out of fear?
* Have I used pride to justify my excesses in my sex conduct?
* Do I like to feel and act superior to others?

GREED: Excessive desire for acquiring or having; desire for more than one needs or deserves.

* Have I been so greedy that I’ve been or could be labeled a thief?
* Do I long for the possessions of others out of fear of not getting enough?
* Do I let greed masquerade as ambition?

LUST: To feel an intense desire, especially sexual desire; to long: after or for.

* Have I been lustful enough to rape, if not physically what about in my mind?
* Do I fear I will never have the sex relations I need?
* Do I have sex excursions that have been dressed up in dreams or delusions of romance?

ANGER: A strong feeling excited by a real or supposed injury; often accompanied by a desire to take vengeance, or to obtain satisfaction from the offending party; resentment; wrath.

* Have I been angry enough to murder?
* Do I get angry out of fear when my instinctive demands are threatened?
* Have I enjoyed self-righteous anger in the fact that many people annoy me and that makes me superior to them?
* Have I enjoyed gossiping as a polite form of murder by character assassination?

GLUTTONY: One who eats too much. One with a great capacity for something; as, a glutton for work.

* Have I been gluttonous enough to ruin my health?
* Do I grab for everything I can, fearing I’ll never have enough?
* Do I bury myself in my work, hobbies or activities?

ENVY: To resent another for excellence or superiority in any way, and to be desirous of acquiring it.

* Do I agonized over the chronic (persistent or recurring) pain of envy?
* Does seeing the ambitions of others materialize make me fear that mine haven’t?
* Do I suffer from never being satisfied with what I have?
* Have I spent more time wishing for what others have than working towards them?

SLOTH: Disinclination to action or labor; sluggishness; habitual indolence; laziness, idleness; slowness; delay.

* Have I been paralyzed by sloth?
* Do I get alarmed with fear at the prospect of work?
* Do I work hard with no better motive than to be secure and slothful later on?
* Do I loaf and procrastinate?
* Do I work grudgingly and under half steam?

Courtesy theJaywalker
Last edited by avaneesh912 on Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby ann2 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:07 am

Thanks for this -- I found the 12&12 sins discussion helpful in my inventory (I tend to like things that are listed and come to an end).

Gluttony -- I can be gluttonous by wallowing in my emotions of self-disgust, for example. Can't get enough of that self-pity.

And don't forget the "flip side" of pride -- remorse, self-castigation, saying to myself that I should be better than that, rather than just the average slob who makes mistakes.

Paying attention to sloth in myself has helped me see beyond the fear of not accomplishing what I think I ought to do -- setting high demands for my performance, inspiring fear of failure, often is the source of my paralysis. But really, what I'm doing is avoiding the work, just painting my refusal to start in another "poor me" scenario.

Ann
"If I don't take twenty walks, Billy Beane send me to Mexico" -- Miguel Tejada
ann2
Forums Old Timer

Postby Oliver » Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:58 am

Yes, thanks for this I've been taking a full tear down inventory again these last few days, and I find lists such as this one to be an excellent assistance. Thanks again, avaneesh :)

Oliver
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Re: The Seven Deadly Sins taken from the 12x12 and Defined

Postby clouds » Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:40 am

My inventory was like the one in the book Alcoholics Anonymous. It was based on that and grew to include my defects because I did the columns just like it shows in the book. I had a sponsor who was great at showing me how I could hide a bad motive under a good one and also how my demands for security and my expectations for how life should be got me into trouble. She asked me to start writting small inventories then I would meet with her and we would discuss the defects I thought I had. She did that because I had no spiritual understanding when I came to AA. I was not raised in a religion, I didn't know what self pity or resentment was. I didn't know how to relate the word pride to myself. I didn't know what egotism was. She had a lot of work to do as a sponsor. She wasn't a perfect human but she had gone through the steps and she shared what she knew.

Since then, I have read many more spriitual books and have found more subtle definitions than what I read in the Big Book. I also read the 12 x 12 and went to some 12x 12 study groups where we really see more of the problems of inventory.
I'm still glad i did the simple put outlay in the AA book in my early sobrity though. Thats what got me sober. Inventory is a lifetime journey of daily observation. I witness myself all day long and seeing those little defects resentments impatience crop up time and again, I just ask them to be removed by my Higher Power and gradually it seems to be working well, for sure it has kept me sober and happy for many many years now. :) These steps really do work!
" Burn the idea into the consciousness of every man that he can get well regardless of anyone. The only condition is that he trust in God and clean house." page 98 A.A.
clouds
Trusted Servant

Return to The 12 Steps