I don't believe in any gods or higher powers, what do i do?

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

Re: I don't believe in any gods or higher powers, what do i

Postby PaigeB » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:35 pm

(Leave out the word "spiritual")

Better yet, redefine spiritual. That is what I did. Sounds a lot like the Appendix on Spiritual Experience.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:46 pm

I am the result of the meeting of sperm and egg.

I am always in awe: how 2 individuals come together and fertilize the egg. And the egg finds a safe place in the womans body and grows and when its ready, the womans body delivers the baby. So much of intelligence involved. Science/GOD whatever it is, I could just look at the beauty and accept that there is some greater intelligence in all.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby porcupine » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:35 am

For me being still fairly new, I haven't solidified my concept. What I have found is, whatever it is, the higher power isn't me! I tried doing it all my way, and it got me in a very bad place.

So for this alcoholic I just said 'meh whatever'. It's not so important that I have any particular answer right now, just as long as it's not me trying to run the show. Maybe the concept will come to me later.

When I first started all I knew was that my AA homegroup was a waaaay higher power than me, so I used that for a while.

Hope that makes some sense :)
porcupine
Forums Enthusiast

Postby positrac » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:36 am

I believe all these answers do come to pass once we are in the right place in our sobriety and life. As long as we all know that we have no power then it should be fairly simple to know that whatever HP is to us it is our understanding alone. it works for me.
You must live your life from beginning to end: No one else can do it for you.
Hopi Proverb
positrac
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:07 am

clouds wrote:I came to AA without any religion or spiritual education, I didn't even understand basic psychological or character concepts such as pride, self pity, resentment or fear. I did know what dishonesty was, at least I had that. I couldn't identify fear within myself, or resentments, so a lot of what I read and heard was completely foreign.

My home was one where no god existed religion was desparaged and those people who were believers were mocked and derided. Thankfully the groups I went to had no openly religious people in those rooms and I might be dead today because honestly that wouldn't have helped me figure out what I did believe and think about the spiritual terms in the guide book to sobriety.

I was reminded of the slogan 'easy does it' by AA people when I asked how I was supposed to do the steps without this concept of a Higher Power. I was worried that I might not get restored to sanity or keep sober without the concept of god of my grandparents. I knew I didn't have the kind of strong faith they had and I was worried I needed that to do the steps.

I didn't though. I didn't need their faith to get and stay sober. What I needed was to look at what was inside of me regarding the spiritual terms that are required to be able to do the 12 steps. In other words I could ask: did I have any idea, strength, understanding, faith in anything greater than my own ego, self propelled actions? How was I supposed to ceasing to fight any one or anything, attain surrender, tolerance and patience, try to make the identification of defects of character, egotism, selfcenteredness, selfishness, fear? Those things had to go. I knew that. So my attention began to center on how that was supposed to happen. I took a few months just sitting peacefully comtemplating, watching and listening for any sign of a higher power. I mean, I was looking for just anything that could keep me sober and help me with the pain of living without my fix of alcohol.

Somehow I got through that lonely wierd dark time and as the days gathered up soberly while I went to meeings and kept on listening and I read the book and got more familiar with the terms people were using I got a sponsor and made my best effort at the steps that I could.

I got it that every one who stays sober has some power greater than themselves that they go to for help.

There is a good reason we need to resign from the debating society and figure out within ourselves what we believe. Thinking and debating won't bring on sobriety or freedom from defects of character, imo.
In fact I might even be able to say when debate comes in, well, I won't say it.

:D
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby Lali » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:08 am

porcupine wrote:For me being still fairly new, I haven't solidified my concept. What I have found is, whatever it is, the higher power isn't me! I tried doing it all my way, and it got me in a very bad place.

So for this alcoholic I just said 'meh whatever'. It's not so important that I have any particular answer right now, just as long as it's not me trying to run the show. Maybe the concept will come to me later.

When I first started all I knew was that my AA homegroup was a waaaay higher power than me, so I used that for a while.

Hope that makes some sense :)

Yep. Makes sense to me, porcupine!
Lali
Forums Old Timer

Postby ezdzit247 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:47 pm

Makes sense to me too, porcupine.... :D
“To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children...to leave the world a better place...to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded.” -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
ezdzit247
Forums Old Timer

Postby PaigeB » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:54 am

Seems like a good place to lock this one. We have reached 5 pages.

Please feel free to start a new topic if you wish to carry your own thoughts forward.
If I'm not able to say how I'm working my program today, then I'm not working my program.
The e-AA Group's 7th Tradition link: www.e-aa.org/group_seventh.php
PaigeB
Trusted Servant

Previous

Return to The 12 Steps