I don't believe in any gods or higher powers, what do i do?

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.

I don't believe in any gods or higher powers, what do i do?

Postby Burnz5150 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:54 am

I usually avoid telling people I'm an athiest. I need a higher power though, and there is no way I am converting to another religion because it would all be a lie and not real. I just don't believe in that. I believe in science. but I need suggestions for perhaps some sort of different kind of higher power maybe? I don't know, I'm so lost with all of this. this is my third day sober and I like this because its annonymous, i need ideas though if anyone knows of some
-Burnz
Burnz5150
Forums Newcomer

Postby avaneesh912 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:07 pm

Get hold of a copy of the Big book. there is a chapter called "We Agnostics". it is meant for people like us. Its your own conceptions of GOD. All you have to say is there some power greater than ourself. Thats all. And turn you will and life over to that power and then work the steps.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Jim 725 » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:31 pm

When I had slightly over three months sober I was transfered to a location with no other AA members. I managed to find one on the phone, told him my situation, and asked what I could do to stay sober. He asked if I had a Big Book, which I did, and he asked if I had a higher power, and I answered that I wasn't sure yet. He told me to use my Big Book and his Higher Power and I'd be all right. That was thirty-seven years ago and I haven't had to drink yet. So feel free to use my Higher Power till you find one you're comfortable with. Just tell Him I sent you. And good luck!!
Jim S.
Jim 725

Postby Johnny » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:12 am

Personaly, I used the program of Alcoholics Anonymous as, "a power greater than myself," for some time, and sometimes still do. I've always beleived in a Creator, but did't have any faith that that entity would do anything for me personaly. But here was the program of Alcoholics Anonymous, through which conservitively 2 million men and woman have recovered. Sounds like a power greater than myself to me!

Remember, Step 12 reads, "Having had a spiritual awaking AS A RELULT OF THESE STEPS....." So, yeah, G.O.D. can stand for Group Of Drunks too. I emplore you, don't make too hard a task of this. Like Avaneesh pointed out, there is an entire chapter dedicated to the agnostic. (Actualy, it talks about several diferent views.) You don't have to try to live what is to you a lie in some organized religion to get sober. Trust that. You just do what fits and rings true for YOU! I hope my bit of rambling offers some help.

Johnny
~~~If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!~~~

~~~Anger is because I'm not getting my way right now. Fear is because I may not get my way in the future. Resentment is because I didn't get my way in the past~~~
Johnny
Forums Enthusiast

Postby KC.Chowd » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:47 am

I would suggest going to face to face meetings where you will more than likely meet others with similar beliefs-nonbeliefs.
Keep in mind that AA is NOT A RELIGIOUS ORGANIZATION!
We aren't going to tell you that you will burn in hell if you don't believe in a particular GOD.
I also suggest the Chapter in the Big Book "We Agnostics" page 44 - 57. In my home group we start every Big Book Study by reading the 1st two full paragraphs on page 45.

'Lack of power, that was our dilemma. We had to find a power by which we could live, and it had to be a power greater than ourselves. Obviously. But where and how were we to find this Power?

Well, that's exactly what this book is all about."

My Sponsor used to be an agnostic and now he is Spiritual. I am a Catholic (always have been) and it makes no difference. We are able to work together and help each other stay sober.
Sometimes we just have to remind ourselves there is a God and I ain't it!
Good luck and don't drink
There is a God, and it ain't me.
KC.Chowd
Forums Enthusiast

Re: I don't believe in any gods or higher powers, what do i

Postby Blue Moon » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:45 pm

Burnz5150 wrote:I usually avoid telling people I'm an athiest. I need a higher power though, and there is no way I am converting to another religion because it would all be a lie and not real. I just don't believe in that. I believe in science. but I need suggestions for perhaps some sort of different kind of higher power maybe? I don't know, I'm so lost with all of this. this is my third day sober and I like this because its annonymous, i need ideas though if anyone knows of some

Unless you've reached a realisation, and full acceptance, that you lack power, you surely don't really need nor want a higher one.

Yet if you have reached such a realisation and acceptance, then all you really need is to believe that such a power could restore you to sanity, and then to know what actions you need to take.

It's not even particularly desirable to try and define exactly what that power is.
Ian S
AKA Blue Moon
Blue Moon
Site Admin

Postby martin08 » Sun Nov 23, 2008 6:32 am

Here's a thought....

In your own conception, what is it that has allowed you to separate from alcohol?
martin08
Forums Long Timer

Postby GantR » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:35 am

ab
Last edited by GantR on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GantR
Forums Enthusiast

Postby Oliver » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:16 pm

Burnz,

Are you willing to believe in a higher power? My experience is that if you're willing, you will find.

Oliver
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Postby Oliver » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:28 pm

GantR wrote: I don’t credit one day of it to a power greater than myself.

GantR, I haven't read this is any AA literature or heard this as a message of hope carried at any of our meetings. I am sure glad that you got sober, but the experience of me (and I am sure many of our fellows here) is that we needed a higher power to get and stay sober. I assure you, I didn't come into AA because I could manage to stop drinking by myself. I needed and still need a power greater than myself.

Why does this frustrate you so much? Surely you are glad that we have found a solution? So can't we just depart from each other in peace? You have your way (one that didn't work for us) - and we have ours. Unless of course, there is something you want from us?
Oliver
"In exchange for bottle and hangover, I have been given the keys to the kingdom."
Oliver
Forums Old Timer

Postby martin08 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:39 pm

Welcome back GantR!

I'm glad you changed your mind and posted again.
martin08
Forums Long Timer

Postby GantR » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:32 pm

ab
Last edited by GantR on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GantR
Forums Enthusiast

Postby avaneesh912 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:45 pm

Our book says selfishness-self-centeredness is root of all our problems.
So, to address the problem the solution is to be of maximum use to others. Ask yourself if the agenda of yours suites this forum? If you wish to discuss AA philosophy you will need to take it elsewhere. This is a place where we discuss the solution offered by AA not of GantRs.

If we are interested, we will take your offer and you may email us the link to your web-site.
Show him, from your own experience, how the peculiar mental condition surrounding that first drink prevents normal functioning of the will power (Alcoholics Anonymous, Page 92)
avaneesh912
Trusted Servant

Postby Layne » Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:57 pm

I made my plan on my second try at AA.
I made it on Feb 22, 1970.
It was this:
I will never drink again, I will never change my mind.

I have also been sober for over 38 years and I don’t credit one day of it to a power greater than myself.
It does not exists for me.
I smile when I hear someone say “AA is not a religious program”.

Definition of religion from the unabridged second edition of Random House Dictionary of the English Language
"something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience"

Gant R says “this is pure bull S***”

Gant R says “the alcoholic must accept responsibility for his addiction”
Gant R says “the alcoholic must then decide to do something about it”
He must make a decision to never drink/drug again, and never change his mind.
Then he must do it.

If he is not willing to do this he can never become sober. At most he just becomes dry.

I made my plan on my second try at AA.
I made it on Feb 22, 1970.
It was this:
I will never drink again, I will never change my mind.

This dogma, strangely enough, sounds as though it could easily be construed as the religion of Gant R.

Question:
How can someone thoroughly (extremely careful: extremely careful to include everything that is needed) follow a path and fail?

I could thoroughly follow the path of Shaquille O'Neal and I would still never play center for the Lakers.

Just the ramblings from my mind, nothing more. Forever inquisitive and questioning.
Layne
Forums Old Timer

Postby GantR » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:26 pm

ab
Last edited by GantR on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GantR
Forums Enthusiast

Next

Return to The 12 Steps