Step 10 - Keep it Simple

The 12 Steps are the AA program of recovery from alcoholism.
Wiganman
Forums Enthusiast

Step 10 - Keep it Simple

Post by Wiganman » Mon May 20, 2019 1:24 pm

"Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it"

I see the final three steps as my reward for having done the first 9. As a brief reminder, I have ascertained my problem (step 1), found the solution (step 2), asked for outside help (step 3), analyzed my character defects (steps 4 & 5), made my first attempt to change (6 & 7) and demonstrated that change to others and cleaned up my past (8 & 9).

Now I stand at a line in the sand. On one side is my past which I am now promised that I no longer need to regret and on the other side is my future (steps 10, 11 and 12). I know which side I want to live the rest of my life on.

Step 10 is a proccess of continuning to look at myslef if something doesnt feel right. I now have knowledge of myself and need to watch out for selfishness, resentments, fear and dishonesty. I am not perfect so from time to time they will crop up. I don't beat myself up I just deal with them on the spot if I can. If I pick up a resentment I use the same process as in step 4. I ask why I had the resentment, what part did I play in creating the issue and what part of self caused me to behave in that way. I then have the humilty to approach that person and put it right. This way we don't build up a backlog of issues that woud eventualy make us feel restless, irritable and discontent - and ultimately seeking other solutions.

I know when I need to do a spot check inventory because I get this nervous tension in my stomach. I have done something that doesnt sit right with me because I now have self-knowledge.

I had an incident recently when I was agitated and then rude to a shop assistant. That didnt feel right I got the nervous tense feeling. Because I work a programme I was able to apologise to the lady and say that my attitude and approach was wrong and I thanked her for being helpful despite my rudeness. The issue was dealt with very quickly there was no need for me to feel awkward next time I went in or even try to avoid the place.